Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By As I CFIT
MattL wrote:As an FE and Head of Training I deal with forms and paperwork nightmares everyday . . . . . there is a reality that in the short term you just need to jump through the hoops to get what you want. Far too many people carry long standing grudges and anger about it all

It's a matter of perspective. May I suggest that to someone in your position, dealing with the difficulties caused by the CAA is an occupational frustration which you negotiate along the path to earning a living. Every working person accepts a degree of work-related nonsense that they wouldn't tolerate in their own time. To the recreational aviator for whom flying should be an escape, the CAA's needless deficiencies can place an unfair burden on one's patience, energy and time which can be majorly disruptive and demotivating. Anger is a legitimate response.
flybymike, skydriller, rdfb liked this
By Rob L
ls8pilot wrote:The CAA just published CAP1721 "Alternative Means of Compliance". ...

AMOC is (was) an FAA term; Alternative Methods of Compliance (example: FAA Airworthiness Directives).
If the CAA has hang their hat upon an old adage, it might mean they are listening to the FAA
By MattL
As I CFIT wrote:
MattL wrote:As an FE and Head of Training I deal with forms and paperwork nightmares everyday . . . . . there is a reality that in the short term you just need to jump through the hoops to get what you want. Far too many people carry long standing grudges and anger about it all

It's a matter of perspective. May I suggest that to someone in your position, dealing with the difficulties caused by the CAA is an occupational frustration which you negotiate along the path to earning a living. Every working person accepts a degree of work-related nonsense that they wouldn't tolerate in their own time. To the recreational aviator for whom flying should be an escape, the CAA's needless deficiencies can place an unfair burden on one's patience, energy and time which can be majorly disruptive and demotivating. Anger is a legitimate response.

As it happens, I have a full time job and my Head of Training work is unpaid and in my spare time, like many I make a loss each year on my flying hobby. I don’t disagree with your points at all; I am just seeing people who are getting so consumed with anger about stuff that it’s unhealthy - I just offer that sometimes it’s best to get what you need sorted, draw a line under it and move on.
JAFO, Kemble Pitts liked this
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’ve also had a reasonable reply from a CAA Inspector I’ve been in communication with.
But I still have to send them a Certified Copy of my EASA licence, again.
This was definitely done the first time, so in the ton of excess paperwork I sent to the CAA it must have got lost.
More recently I sent a picture via email of my licence, but of course this was not ‘certified’.

Never had to do this applying for a rating in Canada.
Transport Canada has computers, and ready access across that country to anyone’s file.
CAA could learn from Transport Canada how to keep records of pilot licences so that like Transport Canada they would not need people to send certified copies of their licences.

Nothing frustrates me more than inefficiency.
Does it really belong in this modern age?
By Bathman
It gets dafter. I had to get my licence certified even through the person from the CAA who wanted it certifying was the guy that signed it when it was issued not 6 months earlier.

He even agreed it was his signature. But no I had to get it certified by some random person.
By As I CFIT
MattL wrote:As it happens, I have a full time job and my Head of Training work is unpaid and in my spare time, like many I make a loss each year on my flying hobby. I don’t disagree with your points at all; I am just seeing people who are getting so consumed with anger about stuff that it’s unhealthy - I just offer that sometimes it’s best to get what you need sorted, draw a line under it and move on.

Fair enough, I'm probably naive about the extent of some people's anger towards the CAA. You'll come across it more than I do.
By patowalker
Rob L wrote:
patowalker wrote:That is wishful thinking.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-lib ... -materials

Are you replying to my post, patowalker? (It's not clear to me) :)

Rob L

[AMC (Acceptable Means of Compliance) in EASA-land and AMOC (Alternative Method Of Compliance) in FAA-land do not appear to me to have the same meaning]

Yes. I wish you were right that it might mean they are listening to the FAA, but it has EASA written all over it. :(
By Kemble Pitts
I'm sure most on here understand it but...

There is a clear difference between AMC (Acceptable Means of Compliance) and AMOC (Alternative Means of Compliance).

AMC is what the/a Regulator publishes as 'the' way they are expecting compliance to be shown. Do that and you get your 'ticket/approval/licence/certificate/blah'...

AMOC starts with your proposal to the Regulator as to how you plan to show compliance in another way (an Alternative way). The Regulator might or might not accept this but, if he does, then this Alternative way of doing things has to be promulgated (as an AMOC) so that others in the same boat as you can see that they also have the option of doing it your way, instead of the already published AMC.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By pembroke
Read all above, very interesting. The SRG1119 saga seems bizarre, SRG1157 covers revalidations/renewals, no payment to the CAA unless “licence action”, ie new rating or “front to back”. An FE should know this. As an aside, 43 days to issue my FE certificate. All the paperwork and FCS1500 correct. Two e mails and three phone calls, final one not to FCL but directly to the Examiners dept. Arrived two days later. Interesting that I had left two months for this but the FIE issued a temporary cert, just in case!!
By Capt Edmund
Pembroke, was this recent? They are claiming 10 days turn-round at present. Interested to see if they are anywhere near meeting that at the moment as I'd like my upgraded FIC back soon.