Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We holidayed on Barra few years ago and it is lovely, but my ambition now is to fly there for the beach landing :mrgreen:
Thanks for posting the vid @Paul_Sengupta
By Iceman
The first time that I went in was in the Commander and we then did the Sollas beach BBQ the same day. Both landings and takeoffs were bone dry but I still went to Stornaway for a wash down. The second time in the Robin was a different matter with an ‘out to sea’ runway that gave us a ‘bow wave’ as we slowed down through standing water on landing. Departure was even more alarming with huge retardation as you hit each puddle, thinking we weren’t going to get off by the time of hitting the sea proper :shock:. We had a very good wash down at Oban that day.

Iceman 8)
By Oldfart
Looks fun, but that’s a good airframe wash in salt water. My maintenance company were very unhappy when I mentioned recently a planned visit.
Unless you get a pretty immediate wash with fresh water, a recipe for future corrosion.
Having just spent £500 on a pre owned Cessna brake unit to replace my corroded example, I’ll give Barra a miss!
By Rob L
[quote="Paul_Sengupta"][ random video of someone landing on Barra]

So what's the big deal, Paul? Lots of people have been there/done that. Have you?

Rob
By Rob L
Paul_Sengupta wrote:No.

I'll do it if I can borrow an aeroplane or go in with someone else!

Why not go in the 'dog? It has two seats. Rob
By Paul_Sengupta
Rob L wrote:Why not go in the 'dog? It has two seats. Rob

Why, did you want to come with me? :D

I thought I'd already said, I don't fancy the salt water getting in the aeroplane, which is why I haven't done it in the last 20 years!
By Rob L
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Rob L wrote:Why not go in the 'dog? It has two seats. Rob

Why, did you want to come with me? :D

I thought I'd already said, I don't fancy the salt water getting in the aeroplane, which is why I haven't done it in the last 20 years!

I would, if so invited! I took mine there in 2010 with no adverse affects since:

(Flyer trip report source: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=63950&p=867971)
By MidlandsPilot
T6Harvard wrote:Simples - hire one for the trip :D

I think Highland Aviation hire from Inverness :thumleft:

I did a "Beach landing" flight with Highland Aviation a few years back and would thoroughly recommend it. Hired their C172 and an instructor for four hours. Flew from Inverness to Oban via the Great Glen, then from Oban to Barra, Barra to Skye and back to Inverness through the valleys, doing some mountain flying as well.

Also did a couple of circuits at Barra, and because it was "training", this qualified for a decent discount from HIAL!

I made a video of the trip:
T6Harvard liked this
By kanga
Rob L wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:[ random video of someone landing on Barra]

So what's the big deal, Paul? Lots of people have been there/done that. Have you?

Rob

It's a video of a nice aeroplane at a nice place in a friendly GA forum. Who needs a further excuse ? :)

[Although I suppose there are other subforums available :? ]
Dave W, classgee liked this
By Bill McCarthy
I seem to recall from a previous thread that Barra was a place to avoid - not because of the salt water issue but due to the hostile reception if not wearing the appropriate dayglo tabard.