Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Bill McCarthy, it was me who wrote that. The ground staff were the personification of the hi-viz Gestapo, insisting that, not only I wear hi-viz, but also my passengers. Pointing out that the beach was empty of other aircraft, indeed there was not another person or vehicle in sight did not sway the argument.

Iceman 8)
By Paul_Sengupta
Yet in the video above, they say it's a public beach and people just stroll, walk their dogs, etc, on the beach there without any high viz clothing.
By Iceman
Indeed Paul, they've either relaxed requirements somewhat since my last visit or it's double-standard that would make the policy even more moronic.

Iceman 8)
By Miscellaneous
Iceman wrote:Indeed Paul, they've either relaxed requirements somewhat since my last visit or it's double-standard that would make the policy even more moronic.

Iceman 8)

I'd guess the difference is they have authority to dictate HIAL policy to pilots, but not the general public. :wink:
Iceman, T6Harvard liked this
By MartinC
Think this could be because when the tide is out and airport is 'open' the beach becomes subject to airfield security and restricted access to the public.

Took our Jodel there in 2015. Yes hi-viz requirement but, really it's not a big deal is it ? Certainly not a factor to avoid visiting this fantastic location. We found all the staff there incredibly friendly and welcoming and enjoyed a visit to the tower and informative chat about their operations followed by lunch in the cafe. Got our undercarriage washed down by the nice chaps once back at Oban.

Here's the video of our arrival (forward facing cockpit view):

Next visit we want to work out (neap /low) tide times so that we can stay the night on island, leaving the aircraft at the spring tide line. Not sure there is yet any hard stand parking available.
T6Harvard, Iceman liked this
By matthew_w100
Yes, it's odd as an aviator to have to look at tide tables. We managed that fine for the landing but forgot that the situation would change as we had our coffee and cake and chatted to the FISO. The take-off runway was only two thirds as long... :shock:
T6Harvard, Iceman liked this
By Forfoxake
Miscellaneous wrote:
Iceman wrote:Indeed Paul, they've either relaxed requirements somewhat since my last visit or it's double-standard that would make the policy even more moronic.

Iceman 8)

I'd guess the difference is they have authority to dictate HIAL policy to pilots, but not the general public. :wink:

Do not remember being forced to wear a yellow jacket in my two Kitfox visits.

However, I do remember being warned on the second occasion that I would not be able to depart after a certain time (5pm I think) because the airfield would be closed by then! They would not budge when I pointed out that I did not need fire cover or any other facilities and, in any event, the 'field' was then a public beach.

I decided to comply, however, but have not been back since except once by Loganair!

PS On both visits, I managed to land on the part of the beach near the terminal building well away from any standing sea water. To be fair, no-one seemed to mind that I did not stick to the marked 'runways'! Nevertheless, I strongly recommend carrying separate shoes or overshoes during any beach landings to help prevent any salty sand getting into inaccessible parts inside the aircraft.
T6Harvard liked this
By Miscellaneous
Forfoxake wrote:They would not budge when I pointed out that I did not need fire cover or any other facilities and, in any event, the 'field' was then a public beach.

I'm sure they were in agreement with you and had empathy. Not a lot they can do short of risking disciplinary action. :wink:

Is OOH not available for Barra?
T6Harvard liked this