Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I thought I should at least try turning on aural warnings from SkyDemon, after Tim explained the effort he's gone to to make them useful. And I now have Bose A20s, with Bluetooth, that will link up to my nav device (an iPhone 6s) so it is possible

So I paired them up and tested with music - everything good. Then I simulated a flight with SD - all still good. Warnings coming through loud and clear(ish). Moved to the airfield and tested for real while taxiing around (Redhill conveniently lets you taxi in and out of the Gatwick CTA :shock: ) and it still seemed OK.

But as soon as I'm in the air, with the engine at cruise power, the Bluetooth channel becomes inaudible. Radio and intercom are fine, but the nav warnings are a faint whisper in the background. My conjecture is that once the headset has to start working hard to actively cancel cockpit noise it gives up on the bluetooth, but I can't believe I'd be the only one with that issue.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
matthew_w100 wrote:Redhill conveniently lets you taxi in and out of the Gatwick CTA :shock: ) and it still seemed OK.

That’s quite clever at ground level :lol: !

On the subject of the audio volume, I have maximum volume set both sides on the A20 and maximum volume set on the iPad and the SD audio comes through loud and clear at all times. It would be interesting to try another A20 headset in order to see if you get the same problem. Is ATC normally loud and clear through your A20 ? If it’s ok on the ground, it’s almost as though the ANR is attenuating the SD audio content when in the air, but I wouldn’t expect this.

Iceman 8)
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sounds plausible Paul. The headset would then mute the BT input and @matthew_w100 might then be hearing the audio output of his iPhone speaker rather than anything through his headset.

Iceman 8)
At first I had the opposite issue with Lightspeed, took me a while to get the warnings down to a comfortable level. I can't now remember how this was achieved as once set it seems to have retained its levels.

Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote:It wasn't the intercom or radio squelch being open was it, muting the bluetooth input? If the engine noise or wind noise on the microphone kept the squelch open, this might explain it.

Now that sounds possible, though I'd expect to notice. I'll add it to tomorrow's test schedule.
By BoeingBoy
I have a BT transmitter connected by speaker cable to my tablet. It then pairs with both of my Bose A20's.
What I often find is that I cannot hear music or Sky Demon if I have not turned down the squelch on my intercom. Even the very feint hiss this produces is enough to knock off BT input to the headsets so check that's not your problem.

Otherwise if it's all working okay at home your best option is to use 'mix' instead of 'mute' on the headset controls.
Thanks all! My experimentation yesterday leads me to believe you were right - it was a squelch issue. Turning up the squelch point on the intercom had music and SD coming through at an acceptable volume. It still had to be set to max (by either volume control - one on the phone or the one on the Bose control) but at least I could hear it. I didn't try "mix"; I'll do that next time.

Now does anyone know how to make the headset comfortable? I find that because its clamping force is so feeble all its weight is on the headband, and I get pressure sores across the cranium!
Don't know if it is relevant but on my tablet, as soon as anything is plugged in to the headphone socket the media volume is reduced to only 50% and if I increase it I have to dismiss a warning pop-up that it might damage my hearing. With it at 50% I can barely hear it through the aux-in of my Trig radio.