Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By matthew_w100
Pilot H wrote:There's always the option of calling ahead on "Box 2"...

But what do you do if the controller on Box 1 gives you an instruction while you are in the middle of negotiating with Box 2? I don't even feel comfortable getting an ATIS on Box 2 while under a RCS. Box 2 really requires Pilot 2 as well.
By Mike Tango
Assuming no unusual circumstances, I never had an issue with a single radio aircraft transiting the London Zone (SVFR back in those days) to by agreement leave the frequency briefly and call ahead to the likes of Fairoaks or wherever.

Shouldn’t really be an issue in any airspace as long as it’s done by mutual agreement.
By Ibra
matthew_w100 wrote:

But what do you do if the controller on Box 1 gives you an instruction while you are in the middle of negotiating with Box 2? I don't even feel comfortable getting an ATIS on Box 2 while under a RCS. Box 2 really requires Pilot 2 as well.

Ideally, pilot 2 and split comms, but even then you may get a surprise, like getting asked to set two transponder codes or fly two headings & levels :twisted:

I was flying with a friend, Toussus to Rouen to North Weald, the first leg was really short and hectic, we split comms on departure, I stayed with Paris control and he went to get ATIS & talk to Rouen approach (check flight plan for next flight and if we have to stay on the ground for ages), turns out we were both talking like muppets to the same controller with same aircraft callsign on different frequencies and station callsigns, I think ATC noticed quickly it's same aircraft and told us to switch to one single frequency but it took us ages to figure it out and clear our confusion inside the cockpit :lol:
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have only used Box 2 to listen to ATIS in the background at half-volume.

Anyway I seem to recall a rule that controllers must not allow aircraft to enter the next sector without having co-ordinated (i.e. voice or electronically negotiated, or some other standing agreement) with the next controller.

So to be asked to switch to the next frequency earlier when not yet in someone else's airspace should not cause an infringement problem.

It'll be cockpit overload to expect one pilot to transmit and listen on both boxes.
By Pete L
townleyc wrote:

If you have one :(

KE

No monitor function?

Only ever had one radio in the aircraft but the monitor button works well for ATIS etc. Latest Garmins I think prefers noise from active frequency so it does take a while to get the ATIS sometimes.

On the other hand, the day is bound to come when I call "XXXX Traffic..." while still on Luton Radar.

At the moment, Luton Radar might as well be CTAF :D
townleyc liked this
By Pilot H
matthew_w100 wrote:

Tell the controller on Box 1 that you would like to call ahead on box 2. Not too different from a quick change with a single radio as Mike Tango says, but with the option of keeping situational awareness if you don't find it too overwhelming.
Mike Tango liked this
By PeteSpencer
matthew_w100 wrote:

Really?

I don't have a problem getting the ATIS on box two: I leave it running for several 'passes' at lower volume till I've got all the info.

And I notify box 1 controller just like PH suggests if I'm going to leave him for a while to talk to someone else : Then a quick callsign, heading and altitude when returning to box 1.

Males can multitask: You can get Stansted ATIS while identing CLN VOR.

Really not too onerous. :wink:

Must try the 'repeat last message ' facility on box 2 (TRIG) sometime, though: Never actually used it. :roll:

More of a problem is receiving (or not) an instruction on box 1 while identing a VOR/DME;

May have to wait up to 29 seconds for DME ident, during which time the box gives out a god-awful carrier noise which blanks everything out.
By NDB_hold
James Chan wrote:
Anyway I seem to recall a rule that controllers must not allow aircraft to enter the next sector without having co-ordinated (i.e. voice or electronically negotiated, or some other standing agreement) with the next controller.

A couple of years back I was heading to St Athan; got a clearance from Bristol to cut the corner of their zone; they then handed me off to Cardiff who proceeded to have a fit because they thought I was about to infringe Bristol. Seems Bristol forgot to mention on handover they’d already cleared me.

I did explain...
By 10W
Mike Tango wrote:
rikur_ wrote:Ah the nostalgia, I vaguely recall the last time I shared Doncaster's CTA with another aircraft.... ;-)

In some airspace in days gone by the standard lateral separation for traffic at the same level was 60 nautical miles! :P

Indeed quite possibly still is, not sure what the lateral separation on the Ocean is these days?

With the right equipment carriage it can be down to 19NM in trail or 14NM for crossing tracks. :thumleft:
Mike Tango liked this