Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You can tell that the EC subsidy has been successful in prompting a lot of people to go out and buy various ADS-B devices.

My ADS-B setup used to see far less than my TAS (TCAS I) system, but increasingly the diamonds of TAS are being replaced by ADS-B delta shapes, along with all their associated flight data. I'm even seeing a noticeable trend towards gliders carrying ADS-B devices when in the past, they would be missed by me as a non-FLARM carrier.

That's the good bit. The bad bit about user configurable ADS-B devices is that a large number of those I see in the airspace around me are mis-configured by their users. Flight IDs left as 00000000 or other random text, and registrations and aircraft class mis-programmed in.

This isn't just limited to the UK. Imagine my surprise when my own aircraft N101DW, was reported taking off from San Jose last week. A quick check revealed finger trouble by the owner of N101DX as he programmed his portable ADS-B device.

Still a big leap forward, but care needed as we adopt this new technology.
By Iceman
I’d actually be in favour of the CAA allocating a unique 24-bit code with a ‘conspicuity’ call sign, e.g., G-ZZZZ that can be used by such ADSB-out devices when the pilot wishes to broadcast his position for the benefit of others but also wishes to remain incognito.

Iceman 8)
TopCat, rf3flyer, Jonzarno liked this
By Boxkite
That's easily done for PAW and (I guess) SE2; just put something like G-ZZZZ or other rubbish in the profile. PAW defaults to UNDEF. But wouldn't that be illegal in mandated certified kit?

There's a helicopter regularly flies around here transmitting as a particular light fixed-wing twin, which he also owns....
By Iceman
I doubt that you could do it with a fixed installation. I can’t remember how easy it is to change the 24-bit code on a transponder, whether this is a user or install-configurable item.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TopCat
2Donkeys wrote:The bad bit about user configurable ADS-B devices is that a large number of those I see in the airspace around me are mis-configured by their users. Flight IDs left as 00000000 or other random text, and registrations and aircraft class mis-programmed in.

Can one assume that if a flight comes up on FR24, with the right reg and type, that it's all been configured correctly?
By Iceman
I did once arrive in Le Touquet with a borrowed Mode-S transponder (mine was on repair). This confused the hell out of the tower controller as I was flight-planned and announcing as one call sign (the aircraft’s) but his radar was picking up the call sign of the aircraft from which the transponder had been borrowed.

Iceman 8)
By Rob P
I was intrigued today when I was bimbling over Cambridgeshire and PAw threw up an aircraft that looked as if it was attempting an intercept. He never did catch up, so I never got to see him and his symbol on the screen was just an aeroplane, no registration or anything broadcast.

Curiosity had me looking on FR24 once home and it turns out to be something called an Aero Bristell NG5 Speed Wing. I just wonder how come his registration shows up on FR24 but doesn't on PAw?

Rob P
By Rob P
Good thought. I shall check.

EDIT: 'Show Callsigns' was checked.

Rob P
By 2Donkeys
TopCat wrote:Can one assume that if a flight comes up on FR24, with the right reg and type, that it's all been configured correctly?

ADSBexchange is probably the best tool for that job - in that it decodes the ADS-B data rather more thoroughly and transparently than FR24.

N
By Shoestring Flyer
We have a large wind turbine close to our airstrip and sometimes, but not always, I have another aircraft on screen showing as if it is coming in to land in the opposite direction. Quite unerving, and there is definitely no other aircraft actually there!
It has done it so many times now that I am sure it is something either in the wind turbine itself, or being caused by the wind turbine that is creating a signal of misinformation, there is no other plausible answer to what I am seeing!
By Lefty
Shoestring Flyer wrote:We have a large wind turbine close to our airstrip and sometimes, but not always, I have another aircraft on screen showing as if it is coming in to land in the opposite direction. Quite unerving, and there is definitely no other aircraft actually there!
It has done it so many times now that I am sure it is something either in the wind turbine itself, or being caused by the wind turbine that is creating a signal of misinformation, there is no other plausible answer to what I am seeing!

It is 99% caused by the wind turbine.
There are NOTAM's warning of erratic and confusing radar and GPS performance in the vicinity of wind turbine farms.
Shoestring Flyer liked this
By nallen
Sir Morley Steven wrote:How do I find my hex code?

Witch code?
Rob P, terryws, PeteSpencer and 3 others liked this