Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By bencoder
A4 Pacific wrote:If people’s ‘distraction’ is obvious even in their basic r/t. What else are they missing?

Radio should be bottom of the attention stack, though, so it could imply that it's taking more brain cycles to deal with the more important task of actually flying. So the RT could be poor because other things are not being missed.
T6Harvard, As I CFIT, T67M and 1 others liked this
By AlanM
bencoder wrote:
A4 Pacific wrote:If people’s ‘distraction’ is obvious even in their basic r/t. What else are they missing?

Radio should be bottom of the attention stack, though, so it could imply that it's taking more brain cycles to deal with the more important task of actually flying. So the RT could be poor because other things are not being missed.

I totally agree with that.

And I also don’t think that the language standard has got worse - it still has its problems. I did the English Language Rater’s Course 8 years ago and some bizjets come on frequency (from western Europe) and I find them terrible and impossible to believe that they are Level 4 even.

But things are deceptive; I had an AN12 with some Eastern European operator last week and whilst a slight delay in replying, the pilot was very clear and able to request a re-route etc.

Re-phrasing from UK CAP413, to ICAO, to simple plain English is the best way to get results.
Charles Hunt liked this
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I just getting terminally old and intolerant

I guess it’s why UK RT is more formal than elsewhere. It recognises and adjusts for the vast and varied backgrounds and accents of pilots!

Then there is the lack of read back discipline

I also gather very few pilots abroad know that “Basic Service” etc. is a required read back item. :lol:
By TopCat
MichaelP wrote:...he read it back wrong twice, and I’m jumping up and down in my seat... I can’t instruct the fool from way back in the cabin...

I'm liking your style @MichaelP

I'd like to have the chance to get bawled out old-school stylee by you one of these days.
AlanM, MichaelP, Ben K and 1 others liked this
By MichaelP
I'd like to have the chance to get bawled out old-school stylee by you one of these days.

I don’t bawl people out, but I have knocked a few thumbs off the transmit switch in my time. Most often when the other person is responding to someone else's call!

However, if you pay me enough I suppose I can attend to a masochistic desire for the right price.
By Mike Tango
I don’t think it’s unfair to say that mandatory read back items tend to have a history written in incidents, or worse, accidents.

I suppose it is down to each appropriate aviation authority to decide which past lessons they choose to remember, or forget.
By TopCat
MichaelP wrote:

I don’t bawl people out, but I have knocked a few thumbs off the transmit switch in my time. Most often when the other person is responding to someone else's call!

However, if you pay me enough I suppose I can attend to a masochistic desire for the right price.

Where are you based? Perhaps an initial visit first just to establish who's the scarier ;)
By MichaelP
I’m not scary at all.
I haunt Popham, and Redhill.
Can be spotted at Goodwood, White Waltham, and on occasion Blackbushe.

Based nowhere in particular.
By Sir Morley Steven
Most of the scrappy RT I hear is passed down from instructors.
Talking too fast (100wpm max)
“Looking, visual, contact”
Click click
Errrrrrr
Double ending the call sign
“At my discretion”
“Report final“ instead of “Wilco”
And many more.
If we don’t get it right, how the hell do we expect new pilots to?
GrahamB, AndyR, Andrew Sinclair and 1 others liked this
By Dave W
I blame the CFIs. :twisted:

Sir Morley Steven wrote:Double ending the call sign

Do you mean "G-CD .... <message> ...G-CD"?

If so, I am embarassed to say that I catch myself doing that every now and again. It usually happens when my head is full, having been passed 4 bits of numerical info in the same call.

I know the cure: "Slow Down, Dave". Easier said than done sometimes!
By TopCat
Dave W wrote:I blame the CFIs. :twisted:

Sir Morley Steven wrote:Double ending the call sign

Do you mean "G-CD .... <message> ...G-CD"?

If so, I am embarassed to say that I catch myself doing that every now and again. It usually happens when my head is full, having been passed 4 bits of numerical info in the same call.

Yes, I'll 'fess up to doing this occasionally :oops:
By TopCat
Sir Morley Steven wrote:“Report final“ instead of “Wilco”

I only learned that 'Report final' isn't a mandatory readback, even from ATC, about a fortnight ago.

I sat in on Andrew Sinclair's FRTOL course recently, and although I was relieved to find that I knew most of it, there were quite a few bits and bobs that I had either misremembered, misunderstood, forgotten or never learned in the first place.

Just as with the biennial hour, a bit of revision of any kind is highly recommended.

Good course, well-presented, very suitable for online delivery over Zoom.
Andrew Sinclair liked this