Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I watched it the night before my stage 3 interview! :lol:
By Rob P
Almost certainly the deciding factor in your success

Rob P
By mick w
2Donkeys wrote:“Good morning” is also not in CAP413. Pilots using this cheery greeting to spice up their RT should definitely get a beating on the Forum.

Ha ha , mostly , but sometimes good afternoon :lol:
2Donkeys liked this
By Dominie
VRB_20kt wrote:
Corsican wrote:Our of curiosity, what do the ATCers think of the « with you » calls? I hear it at least once a flight around or in Farnborough, but don’t follow what it means. I thought it was an airline term but it is not in Cap 413, or is it American?

Usually when an aircraft has been handed over or is on a flight plan. The controller has full flight details and no information needs to be passed.

I recently flew through the East Midlands CTR, using Approach and then Tower; shortly after going through the overhead, Tower told me to call Approach and gave the frequency (which clearly I knew) but no other instruction such as "call sign only". I was still squawking the same code he had given me and so I said "Approach, G-ABCD, back with you." If he had forgotten me and I had just said just the full call sign, he might have replied "Pass your message". So three extra words in a fairly quiet atmosphere seems quite sensible to me.
AlanM liked this
By kanga
2Donkeys wrote:“Good morning” is also not in CAP413. Pilots using this cheery greeting to spice up their RT should definitely get a beating on the Forum.

ISTR being taught, in UK military Voice Procedure as an Air Cadet, that the Proword "Hello", as mandated as first word on first contact, was principally because the first 1-2 syllables might be lost if speaking starts before pressel switch is fully depressed. Perhaps "Good morning" serves a similar useful purpose, although cockpit pressels seem to require less firm a push than those on that generation ('40s-'60s technology) field transceivers :wink:

When flying in other language milieux, which I have not done much, I will use local equivalent greetings even if I plan to continue in English. I feel it can't do any harm :)
By NigelC
AndyR wrote:When are the Americans ever going to learn how to pronounce Bovingdon as that and not Baavintuun :eye:

it was spelt Bovington on Jepp charts for years and may well still be.
By Dave W
kanga wrote:When flying in other language milieux, which I have not done much, I will use local equivalent greetings even if I plan to continue in English.

"Ey-up Leeds Approach, Joker Zero Wun with 'ee, sithee"

We Cheshire lads, being correctly dragged up on our side of the Pennines, like to be as polite and cosmopolitan as possible on our international travels.
kanga, rohmer, T6Harvard liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Dominie wrote:I was still squawking the same code he had given me and so I said "Approach, G-ABCD, back with you." If he had forgotten me and I had just said just the full call sign, he might have replied "Pass your message". So three extra words in a fairly quiet atmosphere seems quite sensible to me.

I tend to agree.

It's perhaps more pertinent with the recent(ish) changes where you give what's wanted in your initial call so they can get the right strip rather than just giving your callsign.

"G-ABCD, basic service"

Likewise, if you say "G-ABCD with you" they know you're on a handover from somewhere rather than making an initial call.

Well it makes sense in my head!

As for pressing the PTT and not giving important information straight away, transmitters of old would require a few tenths of a second to get going properly after the button was pressed. My aeroplane radio is still one "of old", though the handheld I use in these 8.33 days is a modern one!
kanga liked this
By Corsican
Dominie wrote:
VRB_20kt wrote:
Corsican wrote:Our of curiosity, what do the ATCers think of the « with you » calls? I hear it at least once a flight around or in Farnborough, but don’t follow what it means. I thought it was an airline term but it is not in Cap 413, or is it American?

Usually when an aircraft has been handed over or is on a flight plan. The controller has full flight details and no information needs to be passed.

I recently flew through the East Midlands CTR, using Approach and then Tower; shortly after going through the overhead, Tower told me to call Approach and gave the frequency (which clearly I knew) but no other instruction such as "call sign only". I was still squawking the same code he had given me and so I said "Approach, G-ABCD, back with you." If he had forgotten me and I had just said just the full call sign, he might have replied "Pass your message". So three extra words in a fairly quiet atmosphere seems quite sensible to me.

Farnborough Radar told me to contact Farnborough Tower with my squawk, so I just gave them "G-ABCD squawking 1234" which seemed to work. Either way, they were very helpful. I guess the main thing is that they know who we are and what we are doing and we know what they want (in the CTR).

I have found it useful to do more than a listening squawk if only for the confidence in efficiently communicating with ATC (and saving some flight time rather than circumventing Farnborough Zone to go north/south).
By AndyR
NigelC wrote:
AndyR wrote:When are the Americans ever going to learn how to pronounce Bovingdon as that and not Baavintuun :eye:

it was spelt Bovington on Jepp charts for years and may well still be.

Interesting. And explains the possible adoption of Bovington.

Just checked and it’s definitely Bovingdon now.
By PeteSpencer
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I very rarely use "Good morning".

;-)

Several years ago while on downwind being radar vectored for 27 ILS at Norwich, ATC forgot about me:

My call was 'Good afternoon: G-xx coasting out at Caister'

Produced a suitable response...:wink:
kanga, 2Donkeys, AndyR liked this
By Mike Tango
PeteSpencer wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I very rarely use "Good morning".

;-)

Several years ago while on downwind being radar vectored for 27 ILS at Norwich, ATC forgot about me:

My call was 'Good afternoon: G-xx coasting out at Caister'

Produced a suitable response...:wink:

In a similar vein… Al Carter, retired Heathrow, recounting the legend that was Mike Romeo…

https://www.prt.org/temp/mikeromeo.mp3
Talkdownman liked this