Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Trent772
Charles Hunt wrote:Newly qualified Eyafjallajokull gave the opportunity to fly over Gatwick.

I too got the Squawk and QNH confused.

ATC kindly asked "Please check Squawk" or similar.

I can pronounce that :mrgreen:
By Trent772
There used to be an esteemed Gent on Manchester - Schofield perhaps.

My word, he was droll.

If you wish to go parochial, there was a chap at Yeadon - Andy Rackham, very nice to listen to and be controlled by in the day.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Trent772 wrote:
Charles Hunt wrote:Newly qualified Eyafjallajokull gave the opportunity to fly over Gatwick.

I too got the Squawk and QNH confused.

ATC kindly asked "Please check Squawk" or similar.

So can I :bloody eruption trapped me in Manchester for work and I had to get trains ++ home.............. :roll:
By Trent772
PeteSpencer wrote:
So can I :bloody eruption trapped me in Manchester for work and I had to get trains ++ home.............. :roll:

We were going to Sun n Fun on that day.

Flying with us, went to MAN, spoke to the folks in the crewroom and they basically said wait until lunch, we will issue letters, go home and claim on insurance - you ain't going.

Flew over it a while later and it was a right mess - but then it messed up a load of peoples hols that year.

Not a patch on this kerfuffle though.

Trains are nice though.......
By Corsican
Our of curiosity, what do the ATCers think of the « with you » calls? I hear it at least once a flight around or in Farnborough, but don’t follow what it means. I thought it was an airline term but it is not in Cap 413, or is it American?
By T67M
PeteSpencer wrote:
Trent772 wrote:

I got trapped by it after a work trip too.

In Las Vegas.

Most miffed that I couldn't exploit the incident in my SEP from Redhill.
By VRB_20kt
Corsican wrote:Our of curiosity, what do the ATCers think of the « with you » calls? I hear it at least once a flight around or in Farnborough, but don’t follow what it means. I thought it was an airline term but it is not in Cap 413, or is it American?

Usually when an aircraft has been handed over or is on a flight plan. The controller has full flight details and no information needs to be passed.
By East-Bound
Corsican wrote:Our of curiosity, what do the ATCers think of the « with you » calls? I hear it at least once a flight around or in Farnborough, but don’t follow what it means. I thought it was an airline term but it is not in Cap 413, or is it American?

A pointless waste - who else would they be with!?
If there is time to waste it doesn’t necessarily matter, but how is a pilot to know.
If all 26 on the frequency are wasting at least two words, it soon adds up, and will often become the limiting factor.
By JonathanB
VRB_20kt wrote:Usually when an aircraft has been handed over or is on a flight plan. The controller has full flight details and no information needs to be passed.

They should be giving their Altitude/Flight Level on first contact, unless specifically told “callsign only” and then it should be just that!
ronparry liked this
By PeteSpencer
VRB_20kt wrote:

Usually when an aircraft has been handed over or is on a flight plan. The controller has full flight details and no information needs to be passed.

I was taught:

‘ call sign and FL/altitude ’ only… :wink:

Edit crossed with JB
By Cessna571
PeteSpencer wrote:I was momentarily foxed in London when a German tourist asked me the way to 'Oyston' (station)...........

I had a similar when asked how to go to Eastern by a chap holding a tube map.

“Eastern? East? You want to go East??”

“Yes”

I worked out “East” and pointed.
Had to run after him a few minutes later when I worked it out.
By TopCat
East-Bound wrote:
Corsican wrote:Our of curiosity, what do the ATCers think of the « with you » calls?

A pointless waste - who else would they be with!?

But.. but... it sounds so pro :wink:
East-Bound liked this
By Rob P
Mike Tango wrote:‘Pushing Tin’ has a lot to answer for.

For those who don't know. This is the finest ever documentary made on the subject of the daily lives of ATC Staff and is a 'do not miss' if you want to learn what happens behind the scenes.

Fact.

Rob P

@Mike Tango is just bitter because he failed the audition.
Mike Tango, TopCat liked this