Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Charles Hunt
Newly qualified Eyafjallajokull gave the opportunity to fly over Gatwick.

I too got the Squawk and QNH confused.

ATC kindly asked "Please check Squawk" or similar.
By Josh
Personally I think NY Approach are and JFK are subject more than most to the besetting sin of ATC - forgetting that you work that patch all the time but the pilots may be passing through for the first time in months/years.

That said I know one of the NY TRACON controllers and anyone in the UK who thinks they’re badly managed/rostered/crewed up would do well to have a beer with him and learn how bad it can get!
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I worked for a short time for a company based on the northern outskirts of Loughborough. Walking along the A6 one morning I was stopped by an American couple asking for directions to the centre of Loogerberooger.
TopCat liked this
By JonathanB
Talkdownman wrote:I'll raise you "Saint Rumble"...

Sometimes we get it pronounced “stew”.
AndyR liked this
By kanga
GrahamB wrote:..Loughborough. .. an American couple asking for directions to.. Loogerberooger.

An acquaintance was in an elevator on a college campus in the US wearing a 'Loughborough University' logo Rugby shirt. A young lady peered at it for a while, then exclaimed "oh, I get it, 'Lowbrow' " :)

Here in Gloucestershire there is the apocryphal tale of an American in Cheltenham asking for directions to 'Tweeksburg' ..

Life is obviously easier in languages where pronunciation is strictly phonetic, unlike in English; eg Welsh :) [Pen] Strwmbl would be unambiguous, or

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57480315 :thumright:
By Dave W
kanga wrote:... wearing a 'Loughborough University' logo Rugby shirt. A young lady peered at it for a while, then exclaimed "oh, I get it, 'Lowbrow' " :)

Oho! Thank you so much, @kanga - I have just the recipient for that quip. :lol:
kanga, Charles Hunt, TopCat liked this
By Mike Tango
PeteSpencer wrote:There are dozens of ‘Kennedy Steve’ tapes on YouTube.

How he gets away with some of his acerbic comments (usually to AirChina) amazes me.. :shock:

For any air traffic controller with a semblance of professionalism, he was just an utter embarrassment.
By James Chan
He did win the Dale Wright Award from NATCA for his "distinguished professionalism" though!
PeteSpencer liked this