Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I had a contract in Dublin at one point, so flew Stobart Air weekly ( got my Air Lingus Gold card). Ended up all brand new ATR-72s, with pretty good reliability.
Hard to survive an aviation down turn, with all your services linked into one contract, and that contract coming to an end. Had been going in a previous guise since 1970.
By PeteSpencer
Nero wrote:I just flew to Southend today. That'll be another big gap in their schedule :(

~ Scott

Perhaps they'll extend their cheapo VFR circuits offer to IFR approaches. :lol:
By Nero
PeteSpencer wrote:
Perhaps they'll extend their cheapo VFR circuits offer to IFR approaches.

They need to do something! So quiet there this morning. I was the only one moving :-/

~ Scott
By PeteSpencer
CloudHound wrote:Flybe's pheonix is about to rise with adverts for crew starting to appear. They already have a couple of Q400s and a Birmingham base pencilled in.

That’s good news I have always had a soft spot for Flybe travelling Norwich -Manchester return for many years for work during day job and in retirement .

Almost on first name terms with cabin crew lady . :roll:

And the flight crew were sh it hot at landing the Dorniers in stinking crosswinds at Norwich ……., :wink:
By CloudHound
The Stobart Group changed name recently to something like Enya

The airline was up for sale and a young boy in his bedroom on the he Isle of Man looked like a front runner until his mum said teas ready.

Then it all crashed.
By Flyin'Dutch'
PeteSpencer wrote:
CloudHound wrote:Flybe's pheonix is about to rise with adverts for crew starting to appear. They already have a couple of Q400s and a Birmingham base pencilled in.

That’s good news I have always had a soft spot for Flybe travelling Norwich -Manchester return for many years for work during day job and in retirement .

Nothing but praise for the crews back and front of Flybe but they were seriously let down by those awful flying tractors.

Dreadful reliability. Uncomfortably cramped and notably slower even on short sectors.

It was a treat when the things failed and we were treated to their jets.
By proteus
classgee wrote:Does the demise of Stobart have implications for Carlisle’s continuing operation? Wasn’t that run by Stobart?

I suspect so. I think that Carlisle airport was part of the deal / sale that fell through.

I'm not sure what they'll do. But I think Carlisle has been closed for over a year now so liquidation probably wouldn't look much different.
By Forfoxake
According to BBC website:

'Esken is to retain ownership of Carlisle Lake District Airport, which it also owns, but has said it will "actively explore strategic options for the use of this asset".

The business said it would hold discussions with stakeholders "including potential alternative commercial opportunities for the airport".'

Esken are the owners of Stobart Air
By Rob P
I'm sincerely hoping Southend doesn't go the way of Carlisle. Southend has recently seen been my goto choice of commercial airport whenever practical.

It will be interesting to see how long Southend's CAS can be justified. The "wall" of airspace from Southend to the west of Brize has always looked inconvenient on the charts, but Southend have been notable for making transits easily obtained.

Rob P
By G-JWTP
Did my IMC renewal there a month or so ago.

Excellent service and tagged on a SRA FOC for controller training.

In and out of the hold, SRA, NDB/DME, then ILS to finish.

I'd had enough by the end!!

:pale: :pale: :shock: :shock:

Places like this need supporting now more than ever, no silly handling or extortionate fees, just a propper regional airport mentality.

G-JWTP
T6Harvard, AndyR, 2Donkeys liked this