Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I'm sure that everyone on here has been in my situation before, so I'm looking for recommendations and guidance.

The situation: my OH has been up flying with me once in the 18 months or so since I got my licence; my kids a few times. They all liked it, I think: my son keeps asking to go flying, whereas my daughter is more interested in playing Minecraft.

I have now (excitedly) got a share in something slightly better equipped, slightly faster, with slightly better range. More importantly, I've got something I part-own that means I can now go (relatively) where I like, whenever I like - and I intend to take advantage.

I'm acutely aware though that I am a critical junction where - if I play my cards right - I have an opportunity to persuade my other half just how amazing it is we've got a little aircraft that will take us places: look where we can go! Weekend flying jollies, day trips to the beach etc.

But, if I get this wrong, I risk cementing the idea that the aircraft belongs in the same category as my allotment and bike: a 'toy' for me and not an attractive resource that opens up possibilities. Put another way, I want my family to be excited about the possibilities that flying offers, and not to think it's all old men and bacon baps stood outside portacabins. My life will be so much easier if I'm being pushed to go flying, rather than pulling to get time away (although maybe this is unrealistic!).

On the basis of the above, I'm looking for ideas and advice on how I can gently, gently, softly softly visit a few places that would impress, or at the very least set a positive experience for my OH.

Off the top of my own head, I'm thinking somewhere like Goodwood might be nice - good facilities, clubhouse is quite posh - or a visit over to Sandown to spend the day at the beach. Longer-term, I'd like to build my experience this year to the point where I'd feel confident crossing the water to L2K or Jersey.

Any other thoughts? I'm now based Rochester, so would consider 1.5 - 2 hours from there (but recognising that if my OH thinks you have to sit for 2 hours getting bumped around to get anywhere, she might be less interested).

Beyond the first few flights, any broader advice or strategies? A few days trips to start, building up to an overnight stay somewhere fancy?

Or should I just give up and resign myself to the fact that beyond the first year, no-one will be interested in flying with me, Minecraft will be too powerful an attraction and instead I'm resigned to bacon baps and portacabins?
tr7v8, Steve C64 liked this
Any other year Le Touquet would be the obvious answer.

The transformation that less than an hour of flying makes, from boring UK to the coastal town with french food, dozens of 'fashion interest' shops, and a delightful walk or cycle into the town, is almost guaranteed to win any other half over.

Mrs P's response when I ask if she wants to go flying is invariably "What language do they speak at the other end?"

Rob P
tr7v8, G-BLEW, Highland Park and 5 others liked this
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I can understand why Estuary English as spoken on the Southend Riviera is so much more attractive to Mrs P than the home diet of Scouse :D

(q.v. today's BBC article about accent snobbery).

More seriously, Viv always enjoys the trip to Perranporth - Cornwall in 2hr - and the walk into St Agnes.
Rob P, PeteSpencer, 2Donkeys liked this
"they all liked it, I think..."
Most folk who aren't interested in flying themselves are either bored or terrified in the aeroplane. It's worse for them when their partner is the pilot because they know how useless you can be at the washing machine/cooking/ teaching the kids to drive etc... so they find it hard to view you as a safe and competent pilot.
This is the place to start your charm offensive. "Come and have a look at my new toy" Take them for a very short flight (30 mins max) and be super careful to look after their comfort (eg air vents, go on a non-thermic day) and be assiduous in explaining what is happening, "now I'm going to reduce power at the top of the climb" . Do thorough checks, but don't appear fussed.
They have to enjoy that flight. DO NOT mention going on a long trip yet - let the interest in that come from them.
You are right in thinking you only get one chance to get this right. Rob is spot on when he says an interesting destination is key - but before that they must be comfortable for a trip. You want them to be asking you to take them.
Do you know the Tom Sawyer painting the fence story?

PS congrats on getting your share sorted!
By Genghis the Engineer
I'd say keep initial trips shorter, and to places with good facilities and catering.

Lee on Solent for the beach, Sywell for the Aviator, Duxford to take the kids to the museum spring to mind. Sandown is lovely for us aviators, but maybe Bembridge and a walk to the harbour might be better?

G
By Paul_Sengupta
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Lee on Solent for the beach, Sywell for the Aviator, Duxford to take the kids to the museum spring to mind. Sandown is lovely for us aviators, but maybe Bembridge and a walk to the harbour might be better?

Bembridge harbour is pretty boring too. The holiday conurbation of Sandown and Shanklin is much better...it has a nice beach, shops, pubs, restaurants, a pier, and even has the old WWII post-invasion petrol pipeline under the channel to see if you like seeing that sort of thing.
By PeteSpencer
Pete L wrote:I can understand why Estuary English as spoken on the Southend Riviera is so much more attractive to Mrs P than the home diet of Scouse :D

(q.v. today's BBC article about accent snobbery).

More seriously, Viv always enjoys the trip to Perranporth - Cornwall in 2hr - and the walk into St Agnes.

+ 1 for Perranporth :
Take a tent and have a coupla nights in Blue Hills camp site on airfield perimeter Owner will come and collect you .

The cliff top coastal walk into Perranporth is longer than St Agnes and a bit more taxing but the views are great with the promise of a beach at the end of the cliff path….. :wink:
rogerb liked this
By G-JWTP
If you are at Rochester tomorrow morning about 10.00, wander over to the bloke refitting a spinner to the front of his Europa, and say Hi!

I've been there , with regards to family, and will talk you through a few interesting places.

G-JWTP
There is a nice golf course spa "https://www.heythroppark.co.uk/wellbeing/spabreaks/" thing near Enstone that i have used before. Plan was to ship her off to the spa for the day whilst I spent the day at the airfield spotting interesting aircraft. Didnt realise i would also have to join her at the Spa which turned out to be the biggest waste of £150 on myself having various treatments. Never knew I was that ticklish till she started!
Rob P liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:Take a tent and have a coupla nights in Blue Hills camp site on airfield perimeter

Loading a tent into the aeroplane would 100% guarantee that Sandra would suddenly lose any interest in the flight. The word "Charming" might be heard, but not quite in the way FE would wish.

I would suggest that he raised his sights a little above this for a first trip.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Take a tent and have a coupla nights in Blue Hills camp site on airfield perimeter

Loading a tent into the aeroplane would 100% guarantee that Sandra would suddenly lose any interest in the flight. The word "Charming" might be heard, but not quite in the way FE would wish.

I would suggest that he raised his sights a little above this for a first trip.

Rob P

I guess you've never had to include small kids in any of your 'adventure' equations...... :lol:
By johnm
@leiafee has the answer. I have been flying Mrsjohnm to Alderney since I got my licence and I've also done a number of trips to botanic gardens and to meet chums in distant places.