Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
So from that to 6POB, VTOL, 130kts, 1hr+ presumably IFR reserves is a rather big step.

G

Are commercial rotorcraft operating under IFR subject to the same reserves as proper aircraft?

Rob P
https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... -aircraft/

Quote:
“Our partnership includes an option for Virgin Atlantic to acquire up to 150 eVTOL VA-X4 aircraft and exploration of a Joint Venture to bring short haul, electric vehicle connectivity to cities and our UK airport hubs, starting with London Heathrow as well as Manchester and London Gatwick.

So how many slots will they need at Heathrow and Gatwick for all those aircraft movements which will carry 4 pax at most??!
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Shouldn't significantly impact conventional CAT if the concept of operations is as the Advanced Air Mobility proponents have been suggesting, so utilising CAT slots should be moot.

(They likely go low, likely follow existing ground infrastucture (for example) and avoid runway centrelines procedurally)
By riverrock
Presumably the routes will not be under the approaches or over runways and well below circuit height to new landing locations (so not current runways)?
Could always ask if Heathrow could change their third runway to instead be a short one for GA, with a nice GA apron, so we can fly in. If a VTOL can do it, why not GA :clown: ?
By skydriller

Another headline with just an MOU...

I cant see a 4-person helicopter being viable for Offshore personnel transportation use unless the entire regulatory structure changes and they move the rigs alot closer to airports... There is just so much more to a single flight than "4 guys get in a chopper with a bag each and get out at the rig"... Oh, and suddenly the O&G operators will suddenly want to do 4 or 5 times the number of flights to each rig and that will all be cheaper?

Ive seen small 5-6pax choppers in offshore use, but its usually with a sub 30min flight time and in, how shall I put it, less regulatory environments? :wink:

Regards, SD..
@skydriller - EV aviation will come, possibly the same way that Uber and Google arrived.

If there is enough money behind it, the regulation will change - for better or worse.

7 years ago I had the sole rights to sell one of the most popular brand of electric “kick scooters” here in Benelux (+France, but whose counting). Regulation was dead set against such beasts.

Now they are everywhere.

Don’t think for one second that existing aviation law will survive the move to EV.

Just my honest opinion- and happy to meet back here Sept 2025 to compare notes :)
johnm, gaznav liked this