Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MikeB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If anyone who hasn't previously been to Cardiff wants a chat about the standard VFR arrival and departure routes, drop me a pm with your number and I'll give you a call.
By WelshRichy
Arrival/Departing Cardiff is rather simple with excellent landmarks though just watch out for the TV masts if its a bit hazy. Just a few notes that I remember from learning to fly and being based at Cardiff for a number of years.

You will almost certainly have a crosswind. Usually from the left on R30. :-) If arriving from the north via St Hilary the chimney stacks are a good aiming point wit the airport to the left.

If you have a south westerly wind and using R30 expect some turbulence when flying over the cliffs on short final. You'll probably feel some sink there too. I used to stay a bit higher on approach to avoid this. Probably a good idea to stay a bit higher in case your donkey quits. The Bristol Channel isn't that warm.

If on R12 with an Easterly to North Easterly you may find a bit of a change of wind as its being affected by the BA maintenance "shed".

Looks like they now use in/out taxiways since I learned to fly there (we used to use Hotel for in/out on R30 and Golf for R12 unless you missed Golf!). On R30 expect to vacate Golf and departure via Hotel. On R12 its the other way around.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to this fly-in. Perhaps the next one.

Don't be daunted, ATC are extremely helpful and welcoming and it was a delight to fly from Cardiff. Lovely airfield.

Barry Island (*if* you really must!) not too far in a taxi (you over fly Barry Island if on a wide right base to R30).
By Rob P
Fellsteruk wrote: Aeros will be on hand to support with filing plans.

Which for me is good as it would be the first one I’ve done and all the stuff from my ppl theory is a little fuzzy :)

You aren't using SkyDemon then? (other navigation apps are available)

Filing a flightplan with it is a simple matter of filling in a few aircraft details once, and then giving Tim 50p to file it for you.

I'm not sure Tim does it himself : :lol:

Rob P
By Fellsteruk
Rob P wrote:
Fellsteruk wrote: Aeros will be on hand to support with filing plans.

Which for me is good as it would be the first one I’ve done and all the stuff from my ppl theory is a little fuzzy :)

You aren't using SkyDemon then? (other navigation apps are available)

Filing a flightplan with it is a simple matter of filling in a few aircraft details once, and then giving Tim 50p to file it for you.

I'm not sure Tim does it himself : :lol:

Rob P

I do, just never used it for that before but I’ll check it out only $7 for 5 credits so providing it’s simple enough for me to understand that looks like a good option :) thanks
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
There you go. One more skill in the box - though I'm not sure pressing the "File flightplan" button really counts as a skill. :D

Rob P
By Fellsteruk
Rob P wrote:There you go. One more skill in the box - though I'm not sure pressing the "File flightplan" button really counts as a skill. :D

Rob P

Ay, I’ll take it as a new skill :) watch me mess it up. Lol
By Iceman
@Fellsteruk, it’s customary to learn about the rules and intricacies of filling 8n a flight plan form when travelling foreign for the first time. I would normally do this as part of a cross-channel checkout. If you have any difficulty with any area of compiling and submitting a flight plan then feel free to PM me for a chat. You’ll most likely get it right enough in SD but remember that all times are in UTC. I seem to recall that you fly from Hawarden so the tower should activate your FP in departure to Cardiff.

Iceman 8)
By kanga
The US Army Airfield with whose FC I flew required a FP for every flight. Apparently this was US military SOP. The FP could be 'phoned to Tower if staffed, or to the nearest FSS (toll free!) outside Army hours. But in North America it was or seemed trickier remembering to use Z. There was a Z clock on the FC walk to help :)
By T6Harvard
I had a flying lesson in Barbados, flying anti-clockwise round the island. Approx duration 40 mins.
We were over land until turning down West side then out to sea (well within gliding distance though!) to avoid thermals from strong North Easterlies.
Every flight has to file a flight plan, I assume because of the major commercial traffic heading in and out.

Doh. Wish I hadn't thought about it because now I want to do it again!
Iceman, MichaelP and 1 others liked this
By B1engineer
I'm booked for Sunday, but I didn't see anything in the info pack regarding flight plan being mandatory.
When will we know if a fpl is required?
B1
By Fellsteruk
B1engineer wrote:I'm booked for Sunday, but I didn't see anything in the info pack regarding flight plan being mandatory.
When will we know if a fpl is required?
B1

As it stands one will be required to depart but they are working on an exemption if they get it anyone with PPR should be told but they did say that Aeros will help if one is needed so between that and sky demon I’m not worrying about it as worse case Aeros submits it for us
B1engineer liked this
By Iceman
T6Harvard wrote:I had a flying lesson in Barbados, flying anti-clockwise round the island. Approx duration 40 mins.
We were over land until turning down West side then out to sea (well within gliding distance though!) to avoid thermals from strong North Easterlies.

I did that a few Christmases ago. The entire flight was on the tower frequency with a female controller with a heavy Barbadian accent. All was going well until I started heading south on the west coast and she asked me to report at the ‘Semen factory’ :shock:. ‘Come again’ I said :lol: ! Oh, the Cement factory !! Oh, how we laughed.

Iceman 8)
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
:lol: :lol:
Oh did you also have the 200m taxi from south apron on Ground then change frequency to Tower!?

Did you fly with Bill Chandler or use the (forgot the name) arrangement to fly on UK licence?

(As my thread has drifted somewhat)
By Iceman
@T6Harvard, there’s a guy on here who lives in Barbados and owns an N-reg PA28 (I have FAA and EASA licences). I had arranged to take that but no local checkout materialised and he went quiet on me. Disappointing as I was going to fly to St. Lucia to visit friends. So I just rang the flying club and arranged a flight with a local instructor (can’t remember his name) as I don’t have a Barbadian licence and took along a couple of friends. Yep, I seem to recall that we did use a ground frequency for the short taxi to the runway :D. A fun flight and I’ve got the t-shirt somewhere.

Iceman 8)
T6Harvard liked this