Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By Rob P
#1851946
We are all used to wading through stuff about not annoying the Taliban by flying over Iraq or somewhere else sandy, and what we are supposed to read to our passengers on landing, in order to find the stuff that really matters to us. We tolerate it because these NOTAM are useful to someone.

But WTF is this for?

Image

Rob P
flybymike liked this
User avatar
By Morten
#1851949
The only thing you should be doing below 100ft 1.5 NM SE of an aerodrome might be a PFL - or maybe an EFATO if taking off in that direction?

So don't ! Just don't!

Aren't you glad you were told? :twisted:
User avatar
By lobstaboy
#1851950
Well if I was in the circuit at Duxford and I saw the blessed thing, having read the notam I would be reassured that it was going to stay below 100' agl and not get in my way.
That's useful, surely?
ADIRU777 liked this
User avatar
By Morten
#1851955
lobstaboy wrote:Well if I was in the circuit at Duxford and I saw the blessed thing, having read the notam I would be reassured that it was going to stay below 100' agl and not get in my way.
That's useful, surely?

That makes it a lot better! Having had no need to know about it but having been told about it, I can be reassured that it is not, in fact, something I need to know about, because I have been told about it. :scratch: :lol:
Straight out of Yes (Prime) Minster.
AlanM, rdfb, Shoestring Flyer and 1 others liked this
User avatar
By David Wood
#1851956
Morten wrote: Having had no need to know about it but having been told about it, I can be reassured that it is not, in fact, something I need to know about, because I have been told about it. :scratch: :lol:
Straight out of Yes (Prime) Minster.


Yup. I might put out a NOTAM to warn pilots that they might see me flying but that they should know that I'll be keeping a good look-out. Just in case they are worried that I don't.

Maybe we should all do that (NOTAM, not look-out :lol: ).... We'll all be SO much safer then.
User avatar
By AlanM
#1851960
I kinda get your point Rob - but it is inside the ATZ.

We often have many operating in our ATZ - including the Jersey Reds rugby club which is 10m from the Jersey Aero Club. We tend to put those close ones on the ATIS and other UAVs on the beach are warned to aircraft by the controller.

(Thinking about it, I guess that our ATIS would therefore annoy some!)

One thing we do work hard on is telling people on our Facebook page and/or other Social media groups for drone pilots. A risk is that if the hobbyist sees the approved one flying others will think it is ok.
townleyc, kanga liked this
By TopCat
#1851966
Rob P wrote:But WTF is this for?

Not overly bothered about the occasional WTF like that.

But I would really, really, really REALLY like to be able to suppress the Obstacle Erected ones.

There are so many that I genuinely believe it compromises safety to have them in there, as they make it more likely to miss something important amongst all the bloody cranes that I'm not going to crash into anyway.
AlanM, T67M, Hazel C liked this
User avatar
By lobstaboy
#1851974
Morten wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:Well if I was in the circuit at Duxford and I saw the blessed thing, having read the notam I would be reassured that it was going to stay below 100' agl and not get in my way.
That's useful, surely?

That makes it a lot better! Having had no need to know about it but having been told about it, I can be reassured that it is not, in fact, something I need to know about, because I have been told about it. :scratch: :lol:
Straight out of Yes (Prime) Minster.


Very funny, but that's not the point. With the knowledge of the notam I understand the intentions of the drone operator and that it's legit. Without the notam, if I see the drone (which is debatable, I accept), I'll be worrying about what it's going to do and trying to keep it in sight when I'd be better off with other tasks - I might even get all fussy and call Duxford to tell them about it etc etc...

Incidentally I notice there's various others inside Cambridge atz for example, so it's definitely "a thing".
AlanM, Red, JAFO and 1 others liked this
By Mike Tango
#1851981
AlanM wrote:We often have many operating in our ATZ - including the Jersey Reds rugby club which is 10m from the Jersey Aero Club. We tend to put those close ones on the ATIS and other UAVs on the beach are warned to aircraft by the controller.

(Thinking about it, I guess that our ATIS would therefore annoy some!)


There was, quite possibly still is, a long standing complaint about the ATIS at Heathrow (even after split to departure and arrival) that the amount of stuff on it was over the top and led to anyone listening switching off part way through. Not great obviously, but everything on it/them was relevant.

The moral of the above? Not sure really, apart from you'll never please everybody.
User avatar
By TLRippon
#1851984
You are all missing the point:

Drones are operated in a way so that they may not necessarily be able to avoid you. You have now been made aware of their presence so if there is a collision, guess whose fault it is?
User avatar
By Rob P
#1852000
AlanM wrote:I kinda get your point Rob - but it is inside the ATZ.


Indeed, so they will doubtless be in contact with the excellent FISO team at Duxford who can warn anyone in the circuit not to descend 900ft below circuit height on a whim.

Rob P
User avatar
By TLRippon
#1852006
Dave W wrote:That's not correct.

Drone operators are required to mitigate properly the risk of a mid-air. Issuing a NOTAM does not alone provide that mitigation.


Well that's all right then.
User avatar
By AlanM
#1852024
Rob P wrote:
AlanM wrote:I kinda get your point Rob - but it is inside the ATZ.


Indeed, so they will doubtless be in contact with the excellent FISO team at Duxford who can warn anyone in the circuit not to descend 900ft below circuit height on a whim.

Rob P


I am not in disagreement with you - see my post above about what we do.

However, traffic joining a busy FISO or A/G unit is different. (With no ATIS).
Rob P liked this