Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Miscellaneous
@lobstaboy I'm with your thinking, however it's a simple fact that the more there is to trawl through the more likely us fallible humans are to miss something important. For that reason alone it makes good sense to minimise what's listed. Listing irrelevant NOTAMS is counter productive, irrespective of how easily and thoroughly NOTAMS should be read. That's just a fact based on human nature. :D
TopCat liked this
By Rob P
Setting aside the crane argument, there are a wealth of comments on here, but I have yet to see one that convincingly justifies the promulgation of one for a drone operating at 100ft or less in an ATZ with FISOs in attendance.

Thank you for your input :thumleft:

Rob P
By Rob P
It's stretching the definition of "out of hours" when we are talking lunchtime. 12 - 2pm

FISO there have always covered lunchtime in my experience.

Rob P
Hazel C liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
lobstaboy wrote:But that's for me to think and deal with as PIC - I don't want someone else or a fancy AI somewhere deciding for me.

Agreed. I don't mean AI making the decisions. I want to be able set an option myself - and be able to unset it.

'Crane' and 'Obstacle erected' are phrases I'd like to be able to set as 'suppress by default'.

Happy to have a message at the bottom with "15 NOTAMS not shown, do you want to see them?"
By lobstaboy
TopCat wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:But that's for me to think and deal with as PIC - I don't want someone else or a fancy AI somewhere deciding for me.

Agreed. I don't mean AI making the decisions. I want to be able set an option myself - and be able to unset it.

'Crane' and 'Obstacle erected' are phrases I'd like to be able to set as 'suppress by default'.

Happy to have a message at the bottom with "15 NOTAMS not shown, do you want to see them?"

Then I suggest you have a look at EasyVFR. It allows you to select
Hide trigger notams
Hide FIR wide notams (covid etc)
Hide IFR notams
Hide airport notams (eg "taxi way alpha closed")
Hide obstacle light notams
Minimum altitude notams hidden (use this to ignore your cranes and obstacles)
Maximum altitude notams hidden
Ignore specific airports (eg Marham)
And it tells you how many it's hidden and lets you peek if you want.
If that list isn't quite right for you I'm sure the developer would welcome suggested improvements.
I can't believe SD doesn't do something similar?
EasyVFR is free and is approved by NATS.
TopCat liked this
By TopCat
lobstaboy wrote:I can't believe SD doesn't do something similar?

I may well be out of date... but last time I asked on here (a year or two ago, maybe more), IIRC @Tim Dawson replied and said you couldn't.

It would be brilliant if it could now; I really don't want to have to use yet another app, free or not. And SD is so good I have no plans to switch.
By Hazel C
Rob P wrote:It's stretching the definition of "out of hours" when we are talking lunchtime. 12 - 2pm

FISO there have always covered lunchtime in my experience.

Rob P

I think Duxford FISO close at 1800 in the summer dont they Rob? Or thats my experience anyway...may be different now post covid as I haven't been down there yet since....
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
10:00 - 18:00 local (summer), 16:00 (winter)

Rob P
Hazel C liked this
By GrahamB
SD allows you to hide most NOTAM.

You have to individually select the ones you want to hide, but that setting is persistent and carries across to subsequent routes being planned.

You can, of course, review the hidden ones.
By TopCat
GrahamB wrote:SD allows you to hide most NOTAM.

You have to individually select the ones you want to hide

Yes, that's what I want to be able to avoid.
By Ibra
I recall an aeroclub president in Lognes LFPL who used to offer "Notams double checking service" on weekends for free, just email him the route and he sends back a quick breif of the relevant Notams to look at while disregarding the junk :lol:

Appart from BA planning department, does anyone offer this service for mortals like us?
By lobstaboy
TopCat wrote:
GrahamB wrote:SD allows you to hide most NOTAM.

You have to individually select the ones you want to hide

Yes, that's what I want to be able to avoid.

Cripes! So the free to download and use moving map GPS software that I use has a more user-friendly feature than SD?
Joking aside, EasyVFR really is very good for what I use it for ie avoiding airspace and knowing where notams are, and knowing where I am.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
If another piece of software allows you to blanket-hide all NOTAMs of a specific class, that's obviously a decision they've made and they (and their insurers) are happy with.

You can't hide all NOTAMs of a specific class in SkyDemon, but you shouldn't be seeing most Obstacle Erected NOTAMs because they'll be way underneath your planned route. The exceptions will be those obstacles erected close to your takeoff or landing airfield, and wouldn't you want to see those?
kanga liked this