Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This week I attempted to book a medical with my usual AME and he's given up doing CAA medicals due to the god awful system that is CELLMA. I very much doubt he is alone. My wife had an awful time with CELLMA for her ATCO Class 3 as did the AME (NATS) who suggested it is taking double the amount of time to undertake medical revalidation/renewals since its introduction.

Before someone says I can use a PMD, I currently am using one but I do need a Class 2 in order to exercise an FI rating I hope to pass soon. :D I think I've now found a nice friendly AME for my Class 2 at Glasgow Airport, fingers crossed.

I've not (touch wood) had issues with CELLMA and have filled in my application form and paid my dues. However, I did download the old paper MED160 as it has much better help sheet for the questionnaire than the new online system.
johnm wrote:It's a DNS issue, when I changed DNS server I got the log in page no problem

That is not helpful for those of us who are not IT professionals. I am a simple AME, but cannot log on, nor could I on Saturday. I have tried multiple devices, multiple browsers, and keep getting the same error. I therefore assumed the fault was with the CAA website/server, not with my laptop, tablet, iPhone. And no, the Civil Aviation Authority helpline has not been responding. Any suggestions?
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I wonder if the CAA is at risk of being sued by unhappy AMEs who cannot make a living if the IT infrastructure isn't working, and other backup measures (paper or electronic) to continue to allow them to work are not acceptable?

For some AMEs CAA work is an addition to their main source of income, but for others it is their only source.

DOI retired AME (for whom it was, for many years, my only source of income).

Edited to add the last two lines.
TopCat wrote:Was there a reason, other than just that they fancied printing a bit more money, that we now have to pay the CAA £8 for the privilege of booking a medical with an AME?

What was wrong with the old system, where you just booked the AME, and she did you a medical?

You've always paid the fee, it is just that you now pay it direct to the CAA.

Before, you would pay your AME and they would include the fee in their charges, then the CAA would bill your AME quarterly for all the medicals they had performed. To cut out the middle person they have elected that you pay it direct to them!