Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
AFAIK, you cannot self declare until you already hold a licence. CAA state,
"Once you have a licence, if you only want to fly UK (G) registered aircraft in UK airspace you can use the online Pilot Medical Declaration (PMD).
A medical declaration is an affirmation of your medical ‘fitness to fly’ and may be used to exercise the privileges of a qualifying pilot’s licence with certain conditions and limitations."

Starting out training, assume you will be taking PPL or LAPL syllabus?, you are correct to try and book a medical with an AME, or for LAPL, an AME or your GP. I strongly suspect most GPs are not offering this service atm.
Rob P wrote:@IainD

That depends who you ask

AIUI, the DGAC say you need to meet all the requirements that are needed to fly in your country of origin, and plainly a PMD fulfills this requirement

The LAA say 'non'

There's a lengthy thread somewhere below.

Rob P

Seems a very grey area..but tbh until they sort out the LAPL (if ever) for flying in France that has curtailed it for me (even though French LAPLs can fly over here).

I suppose we need a Guinee pig to fly over to France on a PMD and make sure they get ramp checked and see what happens with the authorities :D
AndyR wrote:
A le Ron wrote:
AndyR wrote:There surely must be a case for legal action against the regulator currently…

A private company would not have a single customer left.

The Authority is the authority.

But should still be accountable.

The rumblings are growing in other areas too

https://plag.online/
Stampe, AndyR, tr7v8 liked this
By johnm
I have registered support with PLAG and urge everyone else to do the same. Given our geographical location and the fact that EASA membership is open to non-EU states leaving EASA was and is simply insane.....as was leaving Galileo.
Gustosomerset, tr7v8 liked this
By MikeW
johnm wrote: .as was leaving Galileo.

Off topic, but just for the record, leaving Galileo was forced by the EU which considers us a "security risk" now we are not members, it was not a UK decision. Even the BBC didn't try to pin this one on Boris!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55665537
johnm, Stampe liked this
By G-JWTP
MikeW wrote:
johnm wrote: .as was leaving Galileo.

Off topic, but just for the record, leaving Galileo was forced by the EU which considers us a "security risk" now we are not members, it was not a UK decision. Even the BBC didn't try to pin this one on Boris!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55665537

Off topic a bit. Didn't we ( Brits) design the encryption side too. Which seems a bit rich that we cannot now be trusted.

G-JWTP
tr7v8 liked this
G-BLEW wrote:Step away from the politics…

One could be forgiven for thinking "You started it Guv"

But of course, we won't

G-BLEW wrote:
The rumblings are growing in other areas too

https://plag.online/

Rob P
By nallen
I've completed the Cellma medical form for my LAPL medical...but under "Status" it says "To be approved" and it hasn't asked me for any money… Is it normal to wait (for 9 days now) for something to happen? I've just been back in to check, and I can't see anything else that I should have clicked. (Got the medical booked for a week hence, so would be nice to know.)
tr7v8 liked this
nallen wrote:I've completed the Cellma medical form for my LAPL medical...but under "Status" it says "To be approved" and it hasn't asked me for any money… Is it normal to wait (for 9 days now) for something to happen? I've just been back in to check, and I can't see anything else that I should have clicked. (Got the medical booked for a week hence, so would be nice to know.)

There is no fee to the CAA for LAPL medicals :thumleft:
And it is for your AME to 'approve' the Med 160 so don't worry about that 8)