Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By muffin
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Having recently had over temperature shutdown problems with my IPad, I decided to use both IPad and IPhone for navigation simultaneously both running SD. I set the IPad to use its internal GPS and the IPhone to use the GPS in SE2. The phone was connected by Bluetooth to my headset. About 20 mins into the flight I got a “device is not connected for xxx seconds” message simultaneously on both units and both lost position information. This continued for about two minutes and then both recovered at the same time with no action from me and everything worked OK including verbal traffic warnings.

I do not understand how this can happen unless of course the IPad got itself connected to the SE2 somehow. Is it possible for two separate devices to simultaneously use SE2 for position data?
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
muffin wrote:I do not understand how this can happen unless of course the IPad got itself connected to the SE2 somehow. Is it possible for two separate devices to simultaneously use SE2 for position data?

You must have selected the ‘Use SkyEcho2’ option in ‘Go Flying’ as well as the iPad itself being connected to SE2’s wifi network (either selected by you this time, or automatically having been connected before).

SE2 wifi supports four concurrent connections.
By Kemble Pitts
muffin wrote:Having recently had over temperature shutdown problems with my IPad, I decided to use both IPad and IPhone for navigation simultaneously both running SD. I set the IPad to use its internal GPS and the IPhone to use the GPS in SE2. The phone was connected by Bluetooth to my headset. About 20 mins into the flight I got a “device is not connected for xxx seconds” message simultaneously on both units and both lost position information. This continued for about two minutes and then both recovered at the same time with no action from me and everything worked OK including verbal traffic warnings.

I do not understand how this can happen unless of course the IPad got itself connected to the SE2 somehow. Is it possible for two separate devices to simultaneously use SE2 for position data?

I've also recently had this message when using SE2 with Skydemon, twice on the same day. I don't have an answer to any of your questions, just noting that you are not an isolated case.

Anybody know why this happens, and what to do to fix it?
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
If you see "Device Offline for xxx Seconds" it simply means we haven't heard from your device for some time. Unfortunately we don't have any more information to give you about the situation; if we did, we'd show it. It probably means your SkyEcho has lost power or your iPad has disconnected from the SkyEcho's wifi hotspot. We do try to detect the latter and give you a better message, but that isn't always possible.

As for the OP, your two devices were both definitely connected to the SkyEcho for that message to appear.
Kemble Pitts liked this
By Iceman
As a matter of interest @Tim Dawson, when such a message is displayed as a consequence of a loss of communication with the SE, how is comms reestablished ? Does SD just have to wait until SE eventually sends something or does SD take positive steps to communicate with the SE and find out what’s wrong ? Or is SD continually polling the SE and each message is timing out on a response ?

Iceman 8)
TopCat liked this
By muffin
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Thanks Tim and others.

Apart from my previous IPad shutdowns due to temperature, I tried to set each device to use a different GPS source as I was not sure of the charge state of the SE2 and wanted to still have position data if the SE2 died. I would add that this was in my R22 helicopter where you have to have everything set up on the ground as in flight button pushing to sort problems is totally impossible without putting it down in a field.
By mlawton
Had the same problem on a one and three quarters flight, 2 ipad minis packed up after being used for half an hour due to hi temperature shut down.
By Flyin'Dutch'
mlawton wrote:Had the same problem on a one and three quarters flight, 2 ipad minis packed up after being used for half an hour due to hi temperature shut down.

Solved by:

Either: Don't charge at time of use
Or: If you want to charge during use, click the brightness down a few clicks.
By Straight Level
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
mlawton wrote:Had the same problem on a one and three quarters flight, 2 ipad minis packed up after being used for half an hour due to hi temperature shut down.

Solved by:

Either: Don't charge at time of use
Or: If you want to charge during use, click the brightness down a few clicks.

I had car that used to overheat.

Solved by:
Either: Driving at night and only down hill.
Or: Drive at anytime but at a maximum of 15MPH.

:wink:
By mlawton
I think there is a link when you have numerous various Apple devices connected to the wifi of the SE2. Our problems appeared to be an overheated processor on both the original mini and the replacement standby mini in a fairly coop cockpit. The units must be trying to unsuccessfully sync or log on together which overworks the processor causing the overheat.