Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Peter Gristwood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PeteSpencer wrote:The UK will no doubt ban supersonic flight over land........................... :wink:

On Radio 4 last week, they said this new aircraft would only be supersonic over the sea - bit like Concorde, really. Nice to see that 50 years later, technology is advancing
Iceman liked this
By PeteSpencer
So the poor lady in the Scillies or Isles of Scilly or whatever I’m supposed to call them had better stock up with ink in anticipation of another 300 Concorde style sonic boom noise complaints . :roll:
Peter Gristwood liked this
By johnm
I have a suspicion that updating the Concorde design won't be a lot less difficult than doing the work in the first place. Modern materials, computer simulation technology and upgraded engines will help a bit no doubt.
By G-JWTP
PeteSpencer wrote:So the poor lady in the Scillies or Isles of Scilly or whatever I’m supposed to call them had better stock up with ink in anticipation of another 300 Concorde style sonic boom noise complaints . :roll:

And Mrs Trellis of North Wales too.

:D :D

G-JWTP
kanga, Rob P, townleyc and 1 others liked this
By LapsedRinger
PeteSpencer wrote:One of the many reasons Concorde ended its career was that large numbers of people preferred ‘cheap and comfortable ’ over ‘screamingly fast’.

I think that ethos persists today .

When I was a PhD student, there was a very smart American MPhil student who found Cambridge so dull that she flew home to New York for every other weekend on Concorde. I wonder whether she is still spending mommy and daddy's money? I visited her there once (not via Concorde). Mom and pop has two whole floors at the top of an Upper East Side apartment block, with her own apartment within it. I wonder whether there are actually more of these people around now?

LR
By Genghis the Engineer
This is an American thing I think, there was an F-18 pilot on my ETPS course who used to drive up to the PX at Mildenhall every fortnight, as the idea of shopping for groceries in Salisbury was apparently just too awful to contemplate.

G
By A4 Pacific
Mom and pop has two whole floors at the top of an Upper East Side apartment block, with her own apartment within it. I wonder whether there are actually more of these people around now?

There probably aren’t more of them? But they are probably vastly more wealthy now. That’s just the way western society has gone.

Concorde was never, ever, ever about pandering to the ‘cheap and (un)comfortable’. That was precisely why it made significant profit for BA.

Once travel restrictions are eased, it likely still would, as the pandemic has seen many of the richest increase their wealth. Quite possibly one of the very rare aviation sectors to have stood a chance of healthy recovery?
By Charles Hunt
johnm wrote:I have a suspicion that updating the Concorde design won't be a lot less difficult than doing the work in the first place. Modern materials, computer simulation technology and upgraded engines will help a bit no doubt.

And some practical evidence based knowledge of what worked last time.