Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It’ll be interesting to see if the Americans permit over flight of the US even with the alleged designed-in reduced intensity of the sonic boom .
By TopCat
I'm also interested in whether they'll replicate the drop-nose design for runway visibility on final. I'd guess not, which begs the question - cameras for landing or full autoland?
By G-JWTP
PeteSpencer wrote:It’ll be interesting to see if the Americans permit over flight of the US even with the alleged designed-in reduced intensity of the sonic boom .

Of course they will.

They're building it!

G-JWTP
A4 Pacific liked this
By Cessna571
I’ve heard of “vapourware”, software being sold that doesn’t actually exist, and never will, this sounds a vapour aircraft.

It’s all “they hope” when you read the article.

Including the fact they’ve not actually built or tested anything at all yet.

They hope they can make it quiet, hope they can make it carbon neutral and hope they can make it profitable.

I’m off to photoshop a picture of a Concorde with my livery.

Who wants to buy a speculative share? You’ll need to pay me money up front for my research costs, but you have a share in the plane when/if it happens.
lobstaboy, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By PeteSpencer
One of the many reasons Concorde ended its career was that large numbers of people preferred ‘cheap and comfortable ’ over ‘screamingly fast’.

I think that ethos persists today .
rikur_ liked this
By A4 Pacific
One of the many reasons Concorde ended its career was that large numbers of people preferred ‘cheap and comfortable ’ over ‘screamingly fast’.

In it’s latter years Concorde was a commercial success for British Airways. That’s why they wished to continue operating her. It was said that 85% of her passengers didn’t know how much their ticket cost. They simply didn’t care!

What scuppered Concorde was that Air France couldn’t make it viable and no longer wished to fly it after their awful crash! This meant that Airbus then equally had no interest in supporting it’s operation purely for the British flag carrier.

Of course the American authorities always hated it because it wasn’t American.

This new entry will be a much scaled down version should it ever actually fly.
PaulSS, dewidaniels liked this
By PeteSpencer
A4 Pacific wrote:

In it’s latter years Concorde was a commercial success for British Airways. That’s why they wished to continue operating her. It was said that 85% of her passengers didn’t know how much their ticket cost. They simply didn’t care!

The true story is that BA pilots were encouraged out into the cabin during flights to see how much their pax thought their tickets were : Most didn't know precisely, but imagined a sum more than double the price actually being paid.

So BA upped the price to that level and Concorde never looked back.....

The cause of the demise of Concorde, a tragedy in itself, was complicated and multi factorial.
Edit for nitpickers
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By G-JWTP
PeteSpencer wrote:
A4 Pacific wrote:

The true story is that BA pilots were sent out during flights to see how much their pax thought their tickets were : Most didn't know precisely, but imagined a sum more than double the price actually being paid.

So BA upped the price to that level and Concorde never looked back.....

The cause of the demise of Concorde, a tragedy in itself, was complicated and multi factorial.

Whats the old adage.

" Aircraft have 4 dimensions. Length, Breadth, Height and Politics."

G-JWTP
By A4 Pacific
The true story is that BA pilots were sent out during flights

Who exactly do you imagine gets to ‘send’ pilots out of the flight deck during flights? :roll:

Just to ask customers how much they paid for their tickets! :lol: :lol: :lol: