Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I can slow the Nanchang fine if I pull hard enough from the overhead to circuit height minus 100ft and finish at plus 100ft. If I really do it properly, the throttle isn’t touched from somewhere in the overhead until short final.

An RV8 is slippery but not that slippery. :wink:
bogopper liked this
As I believe Hatz pointed out from the back seat of his RV-4 to his son when familiarising him on the aircraft

"If you pass out, the only thing I can do is fly around the sky until the fuel runs out and then make a flapless landing with no brakes" :shock:

Rob P
I find my RV6 landings are much better when I'm current on the L4 Cub, and my Cub landings are much better when I'm current on the RV. Both are in bits at the moment for annuals. I'll be rubbish at both once they come out of the hangar.
At work we stop before we land (usually - but see the skid marks on Perth runway 27) so that doesn't help.

For the RV conversion I jumped in and launched off, it was OK.

Re: LAA coaches, Charlie Huke had an RV8 and should be able to help, or at least advise...last time I bumped into him was at Compton Abbas. Not TOO far away, same end of the country anyway...
Boecopter wrote:Not TOO far away, same end of the country anyway...

That reminds me of a trip I did with a friend of mine. We flew to Lands End, from Bourne Park in Hampshire. My friend and colleague is from Warrington, and has lived in Guildford for the past 27 years or so. To him, Warrington is a long way from Guildford, the distance seeming all the more because of his spiritual journey from working class Warrington lad to Guildford telecomms engineer. He also doesn't drive so a trip to Warrington is a planned trek on the trains rather than just jumping in a car and going.

The flight to Lands End took about 2.5 hours into a bit of a head wind.

Some time after the flight, he asked me how long it would take to fly to Warrington. I said about 2 hours. He remarked, a little surprised, that it was about the same as Lands End. He was even more surprised when I remarked, "No, Lands End is further". To him, Lands End is "the south" and thus it didn't compute that it could be further than Warrington.

I took an envelope to a map and marked with a pencil the distance from Bourne Park to Lands End. I then rotated the envelope so the mark ended up to the north of Warrington. He was bemused.

Lands End is even further from Guildford than it is from Bourne Park, by an hour's drive...
Paul_Sengupta wrote:..To him, Warrington is a long way from Guildford, ..To him, Lands End is "the south" and thus it didn't compute that it could be further than Warrington......

ISTR a London-based, South-East origin, Government Minister in an interview about central government interest in 'the regions' talking of investment in 'the South-West' and 'the North' by citing examples only from Bristol and Birmingham :?