Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Alexcsp
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
stevewarbs wrote:I am sure Alex would be able to make a lot of improvements if we paid £60 or more

The problem we all have with a whole load of websites these days is that they don't need "improving". "Improving" a website to make it "phone friendly" inevitably makes it worse.

I would agree, but Google doesn't, they want all websites to be coded "mobile first"

Afors is 21 years old shortly, mobiles didn't have web browsers in those days, and some of the original code is still on the site, Google has started de-ranking afors because of it. So improvements have to be made,
but I have no intention of "professionalising" it as has been mentioned above.
Dodo, StratoTramp, Lockhaven liked this
By Alexcsp
The image uploader is a bit slow. the code is really complicated. I did that on purpose so the plagiarists couldn't figure out how it worked.

I've already re-coded the image uploader, but I wanted to get the "bugs" out of these new changes first.

so one day soon, there will be no more upside-down photo's.

( if you take a photo with your phone upside down, it will appear upside down on afors, as afors doesn't read the additional information mobile phones now send)
StratoTramp, Dodo liked this
By Lockhaven
Alexcsp wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:On the new website I cannot open any of the adverts using Firefox, and using Safari the website wont open at all.

That was my fault, I misplaced a " and it broke the links, all fixed now

Alex

Thanks Alex its all working fine now with Firefox.
By Shoestring Flyer
Well I'm using Firefox and it isn't fine for me!
If you try and enlarge a photo as per instruction on page:-'The image viewer has had an update. click on the images above to see'
You just get a big circular AFORS page with no photo.
Something still not right....
tr7v8, Grelly liked this
By JAFO
Boxkite wrote:
Alexcsp wrote:......... if there is something you don't like about it, tell me and I will sort it.

Yeah, the aircraft prices are too high..... :lol:

The shares I like the look of aren't near enough. :D
archerflyer, Alexcsp liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO wrote:
Boxkite wrote:
Alexcsp wrote:......... if there is something you don't like about it, tell me and I will sort it.

Knettishall too far? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JAFO liked this
By RayP
Alex - I have tried with Chrome, Firefox and Edge on my laptop and the image viewer crops on all of them. It doesn't seem to handle different aspect ratios very well
A view that shows the problem for me is https://afors.com/imageView/14965/1/LOOK-AT-THIS-REG-NO-FOR-YOUR-CAR-!!!!!!
The number plate is chopped off

p.s. I still visit the site daily and am very grateful to you for it
Alexcsp liked this
By JAFO
PeteSpencer wrote:Knettishall too far? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it is just a bit, Peter, when I weigh up how often that would mean I could fly with the costs.
By Sooty25
Personally, I think afors needs a ground up rebuild, probably using a third party marketplace platform. There are open source ones available.

The internet changes far too fast now to code your own and keep up with it. All the search engines have been depreciating non mobile friendly websites for years now. Just use www.responsinator.com to look at your website as though you are using mobile devices and you'll see the challenge ahead. With over 50% of browsing now done on mobile devices, it has to be mobile friendly.

I launched one of my websites in Jan 2000, it has had 5 major rebuilds since then and I'm starting to look at problems again already. You can't just keep tweaking, every now and then you need a clean sheet.

It's not Alex's fault, big business has completely changed what the internet was.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Knettishall too far? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it is just a bit, Peter, when I weigh up how often that would mean I could fly with the costs.

Shame! Happy to show you the old girl and go for a flight: just call me when you feel the urge for some excitement :wink:
JAFO liked this
By Alexcsp
Actually, I've done a ground-up rebuild on the server-side code, it's the front end that's getting it.

I have a plan in place, but I have to do it in stages, so legacy stuff can be dealt with I am nearing the end of the upgrade, only a few more steps to go.
By Alexcsp
RayP wrote:Alex - I have tried with Chrome, Firefox and Edge on my laptop and the image viewer crops on all of them. It doesn't seem to handle different aspect ratios very well
A view that shows the problem for me is https://afors.com/imageView/14965/1/LOOK-AT-THIS-REG-NO-FOR-YOUR-CAR-!!!!!!
The number plate is chopped off

p.s. I still visit the site daily and am very grateful to you for it

Thanks for that, yes I see the issue, it's the aspect ratio that's doing it.

I can and will fix it.
By Alexcsp
JAFO wrote:
Boxkite wrote:

Yes, I wish I could fix that, but alas, I can't. :P
JAFO liked this