Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Over the last 15 years I've bought 3 and sold 2 aircraft on AFORS for hardly any advertising cost.

I look at it almost everyday just to see if I want to change that to bought 4 and sold 3, not necessarily in that order.

It is a great asset and I like the home built feel to it.

I would hate it to become "professionalised" with a cost to match.

I agree that I prefer the original classic homepage though, but this link https://afors.com/index1.php usually seems to open it for me.
seanxair, Bathman, stevewarbs and 1 others liked this
By Aerials
I also have used the site and look almost daily. Dodo's link goes to the page I've always used until the other day when it seemed to go to what is now the Home page.
JAFO liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
stevewarbs wrote:I am sure Alex would be able to make a lot of improvements if we paid £60 or more

The problem we all have with a whole load of websites these days is that they don't need "improving". "Improving" a website to make it "phone friendly" inevitably makes it worse.
Shoestring Flyer, Grelly, Boxkite and 6 others liked this
By Boxkite
An improvement that Alex has just added is the date of the advert is now shown within the advert (though, because of the format, it does look as if it was actually the advertiser that put it there).
This is useful because there are several other sites out there that search Afors and other aircraft sites and then display them in their own list with a link to Afors etc. The problem with that is the direct link to an advert on Afors did not tell you how old the advert was and you could unknowingly be looking at an advert several years old.

Also, now though, it seems when you do a search on Afors and you click on a listing older than, say, 2018, it just goes to the home page without an explanation.
Dodo, Nick liked this
By Flintstone
seanxair wrote:Old site working better than yesterday.

The old ads aren't available to view though, perhaps that's a feature to reduce the number of angry pixies the site has to keep behind the scenes. Or summat.

Anyway, I've had my daily browse.
By RayP
It looks like another "improvement" has been made to the image viewer.
It now seems to fully zoom in to the picture and auto-crop it so that you can't see the whole image.
By Lockhaven
On the new website I cannot open any of the adverts using Firefox, and using Safari the website wont open at all.
By Boxkite
Lockhaven wrote:On the new website I cannot open any of the adverts using Firefox, and using Safari the website wont open at all.

No problem here on Firefox 93. Maybe you have a blocker? I have several blockers but I have no problems with AFORS.
Adverts older than a certain age now seem to be unavailable but are still listed, shame because the historical prices were very useful.
By Boxkite
RayP wrote:It looks like another "improvement" has been made to the image viewer.
It now seems to fully zoom in to the picture and auto-crop it so that you can't see the whole image.

No problem here, maybe it doesn't work well on a tablet? But the sudden enlargement of the photos to full window size does seem to hit you in the face at first. The main improvement for me is that once enlarged you can then move back and forth through the photos without having to close the enlargement window and click another photo.
By Alexcsp
He Folks, Alex here from https://afors.com

Im obviously working on "improving" the site,

Some of the changes are security updates, which no one will notice,

Others are supposed to be an improvement.

One unmitigated disaster was my new "home" Page,

it was confusing the browsers and the users, so I have dumped that, and gone back to an improved listings page.

I will try not to break one of your favourite sites, and if there is something you don't like about it, tell me and I will sort it.

Thanks

Alex
Dave W, VRB_20kt, Flintstone and 8 others liked this
By Alexcsp
Lockhaven wrote:On the new website I cannot open any of the adverts using Firefox, and using Safari the website wont open at all.

That was my fault, I misplaced a " and it broke the links, all fixed now

Alex
Lockhaven liked this
By Alexcsp
RayP wrote:It looks like another "improvement" has been made to the image viewer.

the image viewer is a security update, designed to stop scrapers from lifting the images, which is a big problem.

It's supposed to show the whole image and shouldn't crop it, but I've discovered some browsers are doing this automatically. Om my test systems it works just fine

I might have to add a border to the image when users upload them, to get around the issue.

Alex
By Flintstone
Thanks Alex.

I really need to get around to using up my credits.
By PeteSpencer
Agreed:
Alex;
disregard my message, I have managed to upload an image now.
Great site as ever.
Peter :thumright:
flybymike liked this