Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By Trent772
#1850487
Following on from the excellent Glenforsa 'do', how about another Flyer meet at somewhere central with name tags, carnations and a copy of The Times under our arms.......

Turweston worked well the last time, the boggy conditions caused issues but should be OK now.

If that works and someone based there could have a word with ATC and the Caff folks to pre warn, maybe let's organise something in July so it doesn't clash with other events.

Suggestions, locations, dates - let's discuss.

Maybe squeeze a few shekels out of Ian to discount lunch :pirat: :pirat: :pirat:
Iceman, 2Donkeys, PeteSpencer and 2 others liked this
User avatar
By PeteSpencer
#1850495
I'm going to Sleap 3.7.21 so I guess on another date Turdy floats my boat.

Seriously in need of stretching my wings..... :wink:

So I'm up for anything ..... (well almost........)

Peter
User avatar
By Miscellaneous
#1850739
@Paul_Sengupta talking of BD annuals. Are you concerned about sourcing a g meter when the time comes?

I mean the device which logs stress for airframe life. Which I can't remember the proper name of. :oops:
User avatar
By Paul_Sengupta
#1850806
Miscellaneous wrote:@Paul_Sengupta talking of BD annuals. Are you concerned about sourcing a g meter when the time comes?


No.

The CAA and DHSL have extended the overhaul life of the current meters until a new system can be put in place. Basically if the meters appear to be working, then they'll accept the readings. However there is another company lining up to do the overhauls, probably on an exchange basis.

Miscellaneous wrote:I mean the device which logs stress for airframe life. Which I can't remember the proper name of. :oops:


Fatigue meter.
Miscellaneous liked this
User avatar
By mick w
#1850812
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:@Paul_Sengupta talking of BD annuals. Are you concerned about sourcing a g meter when the time comes?


No.

The CAA and DHSL have extended the overhaul life of the current meters until a new system can be put in place. Basically if the meters appear to be working, then they'll accept the readings. However there is another company lining up to do the overhauls, probably on an exchange basis.

Miscellaneous wrote:I mean the device which logs stress for airframe life. Which I can't remember the proper name of. :oops:


Fatigue meter.


Do they make them for humans :?
User avatar
By Miscellaneous
#1850819
@Paul_Sengupta can you point me at info please? I know a BD which has been unable to fly due to not having a meter (it sits a couple of feet from my aeroplane.), or at least requiring it replaced/calibrated.

Fatigue, that's the word I can never remember, ever!
User avatar
By AndyR
#1850826
Miscellaneous wrote:@Paul_Sengupta can you point me at info please? I know a BD which has been unable to fly due to not having a meter (it sits a couple of feet from my aeroplane.), or at least requiring it replaced/calibrated.

Fatigue, that's the word I can never remember, ever!


We had that issue last year. As we had sent it away when the annual started, we had nothing to put in and run ‘on condition’. We were told the only way we could fly was to revert to hours rather than fatigue meter.

It was a long eleven months, even with COVID masking some of the period.
Miscellaneous liked this
User avatar
By Paul_Sengupta
#1850843
Miscellaneous wrote:@Paul_Sengupta can you point me at info please? I know a BD which has been unable to fly due to not having a meter (it sits a couple of feet from my aeroplane.), or at least requiring it replaced/calibrated.


Not sure I can point you at any source, but I got my information through the Beagle Pup and Bulldog Club engineering section. If he's a member, then maybe ask the club for details. If not, it's £30 a year and then he can ask the club for details! :D

However, here's a post from an e-mail someone received from DHSL in March:

From 'The horses mouth' today. DHSL have allowed me to publish it here:
1. We are waiting for the transfer of equipment to a new outfit who are taking over the overhaul function (no names), and training of staff, but it is still delayed by Covid due to Pandect staff shielding.
2. In the meantime, you can carry on flying as normal, recording fatigue meter readings.
3. We have been in discussion with the CAA, who are content for us to accept data from expired meters for future FI calculations, subject to them testing satisfactorily prior to overhaul. This information and the finer details – yet to be finalised - will be promulgated in a reissued Service Letter BDG/1/2004.
4. Our ultimate goal is to have shelf stock of meters to permit a service exchange scheme.
Miscellaneous liked this
User avatar
By AfricanEagle
#1850932
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I don't know how long my annual inspection will take so I'd be up for something a bit later on in the year!


Paul, hopefully your aeroplane will be ready for next year's 20th Anniversary Raduno ...
Iceman, 2Donkeys liked this