Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JSAG
Planning to fly to Compton Abbas on Thursday 27th I saw a NOTAM impinging the east third of their ATZ up the threshold of 26.
It was for 1100 - 1500 MET balloon with equipment to be subsequently dropped by parachute.
I contacted Compton Abbas who were aware of but had no information and had not been informed.

At that time 0845 the telephone numbers in the NOTAM were unresponsive.
My P2 and I plogged an alternate flight to Turweston and met at Fairoaks.
Meanwhile he had been able to get an answer on the NOTAM number.
It was initiated by a local school teacher with a practical exercise for his pupils but was now not taking place.
The NOTAM had not been taken down.

For me this begs the question who authorises NOTAMs.
And shouldn't impacted parties (ie a busy GA airfield covered by a NOTAM indicating a potential no-fly zone) be contacted.
Rant over.

We had a great flight to Compton Abbas via Needles and Poole and were, as usual, made very welcome along with about 20 other visiting aircraft.
I'm surprised to hear an airfield with an ATZ can have a Notam placed on them without notice or consultation - I know our site has had similar experiences, but we were told that as we have no ATZ we have no right to be consulted. There seems to be no system to check what impact Notams have on others or even inform those directly impacted.....

My sense is that there is also no quality checking on Notams, it seems a really haphazard system from the outside but maybe there are processes behind the scenes I'm unaware of?
Shoestring Flyer liked this
Well I'm surprised that such an innocuous little notam should have any effect on anyone's flying plans. Just because your software draws it as a big red circle doesn't mean that it is actual airspace that needs to be avoided, just read the text and use your judgement. Had I planned to fly to Compton Abbas that day, at worst I would have planned to avoid flying over the potential launch area.

Actual real airspace that gets activated by notam, eg RA(T) or Tempo Class D, usually has an associated AIC published well in advance giving affected airspace users the chance to complain.
PA28 liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
low&slow wrote:Actual real airspace that gets activated by notam, eg RA(T) or Tempo Class D, usually has an associated AIC published well in advance giving affected airspace users the chance to complain.

Unless it involves Royal Helicopters... :wink:
skydriller wrote:
low&slow wrote:Actual real airspace that gets activated by notam, eg RA(T) or Tempo Class D, usually has an associated AIC published well in advance giving affected airspace users the chance to complain.

Unless it involves Royal Helicopters... :wink:

Or any vaguely "Royal" personage jetting off to watch a rugby match or simply have a cup of tea, they arrive with less than 24hrs notice sometimes... :P
Guys , I saw the notam in my early brief , and let our radio operator know of it upon report .
But judged it would have little impact due the forecast winds , drifting it away from CA . And it was outside our ATZ.
Did not impinge on the 4 sorties I flew , or those of the rest of our fleet , or based a/c .
Our radio guy was later able to report it cancelled .

We have potential more probs with 'Brizzel balloon fiesta , but the are ' really ' big..... and of course 'The Do you think he saurus ' balloon which drifts by outside the ATZ by being Underneath it !

rgds condor .