Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By SafetyThird
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Looking at all the danger areas along and off the south coast, they all say on the chart that they're active weekdays. Recently on Skydemon I've noticed some show up as active and the info says it's active according to the notam. Does this mean that they are 'only' active when it says so in notams and you can fly through them at any other time or they're active during weekdays and you should stay out of them except at weekends?
By johnm
In many cases Plymouth military can provide DACS London Information will generally know the status too.

Best not go in unless you know the status.
By JonathanB
Some are deemed active at set times to standard levels but then can be activated to higher levels or outside normal times by notam.
By Morten
JonathanB wrote:Some are deemed active at set times to standard levels but then can be activated to higher levels or outside normal times by notam.

What's a higher level Danger Area? Does it transmogrify into an RA?

Not that I'd cross without talking to someone, but just wondering whether this is something I need to know?
By JonathanB
Morten wrote:What's a higher level Danger Area? Does it transmogrify into an RA?

Not that I'd cross without talking to someone, but just wondering whether this is something I need to know?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. It probably doesn’t affect lighter GA much, but you may see the notams. For example D017 is published as SFC - 22000ft with specific hours. It can however be extended vertically up to 55000ft or activated outside its normal hours by notam.
By MargeB72
Plymouth Military Radar provide a DACS. When Ply Mil are closed, DACS transfers to Swanwick Mil. London info provide a DAAIS H24. You could also phone the telephone number published for pre-flight information.
AIP has all the activation times and heights of each DA. Activity which occurs within the times and heights specified in the AIP will not be NOTAM'd. Any activity occurring outside the published times or higher than the heights published will be notified by notam, as mentioned above by jonathanb
By PA28
I usually transit through D036 when going to Cherbourg from St Catherine's Point on the Isle of Wight. Plymouth military provide a crossing service during the week and London Information let you know the Status at weekends. The only thing that can be a problem is VHF range when talking to Plymouth military. I sometimes have to push the volume knob on the GNS430 to activate the squelch manually so I can hear them when close to the range limits of VHF comms.