Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dave Johnson wrote:I haven't seen this anywhere else on the forum, but I may have missed it.
Nothing like having ambitions for once you get your licence!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-57255440

40-45 days? Good luck with that. Let's hope he doesn't push his luck with the weather.

Much as they give loads of bragging rights in retrospect, I do sometimes wonder how much risk gets added with these 'youngest ever to do XX', or 'greatest number of YY in a given time' exploits. And it must be nice to have all that sponsorship to help with the costs.

I saw the article in Flyer about a couple who are now in the Guinness book of world records for the greatest number of airfield visits in a day. 71 in 12 hours.... two pilots.

I'm knackered enough after two or three legs in a day, god knows what state I'd be in after 70.
By PeteSpencer
TopCat wrote:
I saw the article in Flyer about a couple who are now in the Guinness book of world records for the greatest number of airfield visits in a day. 71 in 12 hours.... two pilots.

I'm knackered enough after two or three legs in a day, god knows what state I'd be in after 70.

Our airstrip IIRC was something like # 23 in that attempt.

They even shaved off a few minutes by taxiing to the end and departing on the reciprocal runway into a darkening leaden sky.

Glad they made it and got the record and raised a few bob on the way.

As witness I had to fill in some quite demanding paperwork ..,,,,,,
By skydriller
Im intrigued to know how he is going to be able to do this flight with all the current Covid restrictions. An around the world flight isnt 'business' or 'essential work' - and even some of these require tests etc. and at 17 he is unlikely to have been double-vaccinated. Eg.Germany requires quarantine now from the UK as well as tests.

I wish the young chap well.
skydriller wrote:Im intrigued to know how he is going to be able to do this flight with all the current Covid restrictions. An around the world flight isnt 'business' or 'essential work' - and even some of these require tests etc. and at 17 he is unlikely to have been double-vaccinated. Eg.Germany requires quarantine now from the UK as well as tests.

He is classified as crew.
By skydriller
JAFO wrote:
skydriller wrote:Im intrigued to know how he is going to be able to do this flight with all the current Covid restrictions. An around the world flight isnt 'business' or 'essential work' - and even some of these require tests etc. and at 17 he is unlikely to have been double-vaccinated. Eg.Germany requires quarantine now from the UK as well as tests.

And how exactly does he wangle that then...???

Are you sure...By that logic anyone in an SEP can claim the same thing going anywhere...which I think you may have problems with if you were to try it...
JAFO wrote:

So as long as we are solo we can ignore Covid restrictions? What a super wheeze.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Sat May 29, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know how he wrangled it, but his FB page showed a picture of his being vaccinated.

As far as I am concerned, best of British to him. I have no idea where the money is coming from, but the effort and determination are clearly coming from him alone.

G
JAFO liked this