Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
I finally got verified for Cellma, but now he whole customer portal appears to be down, is anyone else finding the same or am I having a meatware issue?

Thanks

Ian
By CloudHound
It took my brother’s AME not long to pass him fit but then the rest of the morning to input his findings into Celma yesterday.

There’s no back button so mistakes require a restart.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Boxkite wrote:From what I hear, it's just as bad to use when it's up or down ...

I did start filling out a medical application form a couple of days ago but had to stop. The design is very retro, but not in a good way.

Ian
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have successfully tackled CELLMA and paid £8 so the form I used to fill in on paper is now more or less filled in on line and is apparently available to my AME which I'll be booking fairly soon. It is necessary to fudge some answers to get through the process which is a real pain.

The system itself is about as user friendly as a cornered rat and would have been considered a poor design if implemented on a mainframe 50 to 60 years ago.

How do we get the twerps to do a halfway competent job???
By rikur_
G-BLEW wrote:I finally got verified for Cellma, but now he whole customer portal appears to be down, is anyone else finding the same or am I having a meatware issue?

In my experience it has some session timeout issues - i.e. if you've previously used it on your computer, and revisit it at a later date it gives an error. The work-around appears to be to visit it in an 'incognito' tab on your browser each time. :roll:
Cns416, G-BLEW liked this
By johnm
Dave W wrote:These reports are not describing minor issues, are they?

I'm surprised (well, I should be, but on reflection...) that it hasn't been withdrawn as not fit for purpose!

We seem to be in a new paradigm on systems engineering with HMG. In the old days we used to do requirements, design, test, implement.

Now we seem to do requirements, implement, test, design....... though sometimes we omit design altogether it seems and just bodge fixes to problems as they arise....
A le Ron liked this
By Colonel Panic
johnm wrote:We seem to be in a new paradigm on systems engineering with HMG.

I have to say that I am often impressed just how clear & easy to use much / most of the gov.uk websites are - the type with the black banner at the top. Tax, Motor, DEFRA, etc - all consistent in design, pretty simple language, etc etc.

The only thing I struggle with is working out where National Insurance fits in to it - not always totally obvious.
rikur_ liked this
By johnm
Colonel Panic wrote:I have to say that I am often impressed just how clear & easy to use much / most of the gov.uk websites are - the type with the black banner at the top. Tax, Motor, DEFRA, etc - all consistent in design, pretty simple language, etc etc.

Gov.uk is not too bad, not great, but not too bad.
By rikur_
Dave W wrote:These reports are not describing minor issues, are they?

I'm surprised (well, I should be, but on reflection...) that it hasn't been withdrawn as not fit for purpose!

From a system / data security perspective they are quite alarming. These sorts of error imply that secure coding & configuration practices haven't been applied, as normally you'd want to explicitly handle things like session timeout, not just leave them to trigger a generic error.
By IMCR
patowalker wrote:It is not a CAA system.

https://www.riomed.com/cellma/

Oh, ok that makes it all right then. The usual story why so much of this stuff is contracted out, so someone esle can take responsibily.

News would rather be the CAA's portal hasnt broken now for a week / month.