Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
mikehallam wrote:Yes I know I can fly off somewhere a couple of time a year to find a friendly SD user& ask to fire his kit up for a peek, but IMHO that's ars* about face.
And certainly lousy business practice by the hallowed sd owners.

I'll save you the effort ....
Thanks for above suggestions and letters to AFE, Pooleys and a blast at SD are on their way.

I maintain it's a darned cheek and possibly subjecting an unthinking purveyor of alleged landing details/hazards to action if an accident ensues. More so on my unwitting shoulders by implementation of substantial Public Liability damages.
Rob P wrote:Why a 'blast'?

SD are very responsive. "Please remove my strip from SD" is all that is required surely?

Rob P

Agreed. I asked SD support a potentially silly question one evening recently and had a very helpful reply by 9am the next morning! Best online customer service I have experienced for ages
PeteSpencer, Rob L, JAFO and 3 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
mikehallam wrote:Thanks for above suggestions and letters to AFE, Pooleys and a blast at SD are on their way.

I maintain it's a darned cheek and possibly subjecting an unthinking purveyor of alleged landing details/hazards to action if an accident ensues. More so on my unwitting shoulders by implementation of substantial Public Liability damages.

I must admit to being puzzled:
Do you want visitors to your strip or not?

If not why is it in Pooleys and AFE and SD gives a contact number/email address.>

If you do want visitors (and I guess they will contact you via Pooleys, AFE or horror, horror via SD) then shirley it is your responsibility to PPR each and every visitor with an appropriate safety briefing.

The presence of your contact details in the above three (and presumably you supplied the first two with these details voluntarily yourself) is just an opening of the process of your inviting pilots to visit.

Then why is it such a big deal SD promulgating these details in the interests of safety ,which are freely available to pilots anyway.?

If on the other hand you don't want visitors, then why keep details in the flight guides?

Askin' for a friend :wink:
flybymike, JAFO, rdfb liked this
I'd have thought there'd be a copyright thing. If Mike doesn't give his info to SD then they must be copying from somewhere. If that was me, I'd be unhappy.
A to Z used to deliberately put small errors on their street maps so they could tell if another company was just copying theirs (maybe they still do for all I know).
By townleyc
PeteSpencer wrote:
(And although I’ve been told I’ve succeeded I can’t confirm this for myself as I have no access to the military charts. :( . )

PS Anybody with a current RAF/Military connection willing to scan me an A4 size scan of the latest 1/2 mil East Anglian military low flying chart centred on, say RAF Honington please? (Bearing in mind it may not be added yet, in which case I'll ask again next year :roll: )

You can access it from the link below:

MattL wrote:Military AIP is open source - https://www.aidu.mod.uk/aip/

I think it is when the departure is not based on a facility / RNAV that they are getting renamed as MID from SID as the design does not meet SID standards

Select AIP, then ENR and expand ENR 6 En-Route Charts

Not quite sure which you want...

KE
Thank you Rikur, I needed to see that.
If that really is all the info. one gets with SD it's missing our 'gotchs. In which case a visitor needs my briefing diagram with danger points. Perhaps I was misled by PPO folk indicating they had all necessary data off SD.
That's not unfriendly but prudent safety action for both parties.
Pooleys and AFEdo ask before publishing & eases accepting folk asking ,say, by by mobile.
By PeteSpencer
@townleyc

Thanks for that :I do have that link:

(Apologies for thread drift but what the hell:)

However what I’m looking for is sight of the particular area of the military equivalent of our Southern half-mil chart ( I know they exist because when my son was in the RAF he used to give me his paper half-mil cast-offs).

I e the area where our strip, Knettishall is situated, about 5 miles E of RAF Honington :

In case you didn’t see my thread last year I discovered last year that the reason Apaches were blatting over our strip at zero feet (I have video) was that they had no idea the strip was even there , it being absent from their charts .

Despite the fact that an airfield has been there since 1943 and our group has flown from there for 50 years since 1970 and the active strip has figured on the CAA half mil for all of that time , it has never featured on the Military charts .

Hence my18 month dialogue with the Military : I just want to see with my own eyes that I’ve achieved it!

So if anyone has a current military ‘southern half mil’ a scan of the area surrounding Knettishall would be greatly appreciated :wink:

edit: cr ap proofreading again :roll:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sat May 29, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
townleyc liked this
By townleyc
mikehallam wrote:Thank you Rikur, I needed to see that.
If that really is all the info. one gets with SD it's missing our 'gotchs. In which case a visitor needs my briefing diagram with danger points. Perhaps I was misled by PPO folk indicating they had all necessary data off SD.
That's not unfriendly but prudent safety action for both parties.
Pooleys and AFEdo ask before publishing & eases accepting folk asking ,say, by by mobile.

It is also up on UKGA:

https://ukga.com/airfield/jackrells-farm

KE
mikehallam wrote:B.T.W.
Pilots requesting permission to land on my strip are asked to refer to Pooleys or A.F.E. guides because both of them ask annually for updates this means l only need mention newer hazards for someone new.
Lately some applicants say they've seen the details on Skydemon. I've no idea what it has or not, as its publishers (?) have never had the decency to ask me.
I presume Skydemin use copies of the flight guides with or without permission, or cobble up a load of suspect assumptions.
Either way it's unacceptable and as l still use chart and look out, have not as or any idea what's shown.
FWIW. It's a grass field with seasonally changing hazards !

Wouldn't it be less magnanimous and faff, to just reply with a PDF of the same information?

No one bothers with these outdated booklets by Pooley & AFE.
Rob P, rikur_ liked this