Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By SteveX
Lockhaven wrote:What is the definition of living in the UK ?

Do any of the people possibly affected have dual passports.

Do you still have relatives in the USA.

Have you got a second home in either the USA or Europe.

:wink:

Probably like that for tax purposes, over 185 days per year.
By A4 Pacific
Flyin’Dutch wrote:

I personally found that there was always something else that limited one's despatch rate - lack of de-icing, lack of a second engine, lack of currency, weather, time and the notion that with a RYR you could get to the destination quicker, more reliable and a whole lot cheaper than by GA

I agree.

Having had an IR for the best part of 40 years, (paid for by others) I couldn’t imagine anything more boring now than droning through weather in an aircraft that’s not really suitable for the task. Even twin turbo props merely put you right where you’d rather not be! As for IFR in any single piston!! :shock:

I get my kicks from actually flying the machine these days. (But then I never have to fly anywhere. I just do it for fun now. Not transportation. :thumleft: )

Horses for courses!
By Grelly
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
2Donkeys wrote:
1) To pass a CAA Class 2 Medical (with IR hearing extension)
2) To pass an RT Exam
3) To pass a PPL skills tests
4) To send off for my UK CAA PPL
5) On arrival of the PPL, to fly a UK CAA IR Test. (I am exempt all TK on the basis of experience and an assessment by my chosen flight examiner)

Have you costed this up? To get a qualification just like the one you already have?
By Irv Lee
2nd question from me - again sorry if it's buried in previous pages - if this only mentions FAA, presumably anyone with a non-EASA foreign PPL (eg SA PPL) who was flying on a 2139/2141 and 2142 is not extended to Dec 2021, or are we expecting an exemption for them ?
G-BLEW liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Irv Lee wrote:2nd question from me - again sorry if it's buried in previous pages - if this only mentions FAA, presumably anyone with a non-EASA foreign PPL (eg SA PPL) who was flying on a 2139/2141 and 2142 is not extended to Dec 2021, or are we expecting an exemption for them ?

FAA pilots were special case because of the BASA

Ian
By IMCR
But aren’t we at risk of drifting back to the age old notion that IFR in GA is all about banging around in horrid weather?

Isn’t it most of the time about the means of getting on top in rather lovely weather, work around fronts and squall lines, and having a means of making a legal approach in something a bit dodgy for a pilot unable to fly an approach, thus increasing doable trips by 100%, not a CAT compliant say 200%.

In other words just what an IMCr holder would do Europe wide with a class A airways add on.
Last edited by IMCR on Wed May 26, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter_G liked this
By 2Donkeys
Grelly wrote:
2Donkeys wrote:
2) To pass an RT Exam
5) On arrival of the PPL, to fly a UK CAA IR Test. (I am exempt all TK on the basis of experience and an assessment by my chosen flight examiner)

Have you costed this up? To get a qualification just like the one you already have?

It's a good question. In very round terms the medical will be 300, the PPL skills test is a couple of hundred, and the IRT is a little over 800. I recall the RT test being around 60. Licence issue is another three digit sum, I think. I will undoubtedly need some flight training before the IRT to ensure that I am flying to the right standard and to chip away my accumulated bad habits. All in, perhaps budget 2000.

I am very aware that I am in a lucky position. Without my existing experience, there would have been the time and cost pain of Theoretical Knowledge training and exams and a lot more pre-IRT training I suspect.
By Grelly
2Donkeys wrote:
Grelly wrote:
2Donkeys wrote:
2) To pass an RT Exam

It's a good question. In very round terms the medical will be 300, the PPL skills test is a couple of hundred, and the IRT is a little over 800. I recall the RT test being around 60. Licence issue is another three digit sum, I think. I will undoubtedly need some flight training before the IRT to ensure that I am flying to the right standard and to chip away my accumulated bad habits. All in, perhaps budget 2000.

I am very aware that I am in a lucky position. Without my existing experience, there would have been the time and cost pain of Theoretical Knowledge training and exams and a lot more pre-IRT training I suspect.

Yes, £2,000 was my top-of-my-head figure too. Plus the cost in time. It crosses my pain-threshold by some distance.
2Donkeys, Flyingfemme liked this
By A4 Pacific
Isn’t it most of the time about the means of getting on top in rather lovely weather, work around fronts and squall lines, and having a means of making a legal approach in something a bit dodgy for a pilot unable to fly an approach, thus increasing doable trips by 100%, not a CAT compliant say 200%.

In other words just what an IMCr holder would do Europe wide with a class A airways add on.

As you say, that all sounds “rather lovely”.
Last edited by A4 Pacific on Wed May 26, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
By AndyR
2Donkeys wrote:
Grelly wrote:
2Donkeys wrote:
2) To pass an RT Exam

About the same as it’s cost me to SOLI and then obtain a carbon copy UK Part FCL. Sure ain’t cheap, simply in order to fly with the same privileges I had until the B word.
G-BLEW liked this
By IMCR
A4 Pacific wrote:

As you say, that all sounds “rather lovely”.

You lot are cynical.

I am relatively happy bashing around in a fully deiced twin, but I know my limitations, but I also know there are a awful lot of occasions it enables me to fly safely. I would do half that stuff in a single, but this still enables me to get more use out the aircraft. I dont know what bit you dont feel is "rather lovely".
By Pilot H
2Donkeys wrote:It's a good question. In very round terms the medical will be 300, the PPL skills test is a couple of hundred, and the IRT is a little over 800. I recall the RT test being around 60. Licence issue is another three digit sum, I think. I will undoubtedly need some flight training before the IRT to ensure that I am flying to the right standard and to chip away my accumulated bad habits. All in, perhaps budget 2000.

You used to be able to get an IMC rating on the basis of an ICAO I/R Is that still the case with the IR(R)?

An IR/R would be a good tradeoff as it will still allow IFR flight in UK airspace other than Class A.

In practical terms as you are based in southern England and given the UK's infrastructure an IR/R would not be too restrictive (other than the need to file "Y" and "X" flightplans when going foreign .

In practical ops terms this could be a better cost/benefit result rather than of obtaining a full IR, (with perhaps the biggest drawback being annual revalidation requirements) just for those few occasions when you want access to UK airways.

(If you go that route don't forget to add a night rating to your shiny new UK PPL)
G-BLEW liked this