Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By vahgatsi
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@vahgatsi

It is not an FAA regulation which requires this so the FARs will not mention it.

If it's a BASA requirement then it doesn't apply to the rest of the world.
Else, where is it specified by the FAA?
Not that it is applicable to me personally.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@vahgatsi

It is not an FAA regulation which requires this so the FARs will not mention it.

Umm, if the statement from AOPA Lux is correct then yes, it is an FAA regulation (somewhere).

It must be: EASA will not - cannot- specify what pilots have to do to hold an FAA 61.75 certificate.
vahgatsi, 2Donkeys liked this
By 2Donkeys
There are a number of inaccuracies in the Luxembourg AOPA statement. The statement itself is also relatively old.

The FAA has made no change to the process for issuing a 61.75 certificate irrespective of the country of issue of the underlying ICAO licence.
Dave W, G-BLEW, vahgatsi liked this
By 2Donkeys
patowalker wrote:It is not an AOPA Luxembourg statement.
The following text written by Emmanuel Davidson, President of AOPA France gives some interesting background information :

…and published by AOPA Luxembourg.

Not that this changes what I wrote about it’s content.
By patowalker
vahgatsi wrote:
patowalker wrote:
vahgatsi wrote: And it appears, similarly, that a French citizen will continue to be able to fly an N-reg aircraft on a FAA license anywhere in the world except France.

No. The BASA applies to the EU, so a French citizen residing in the EU will not be able to fly in the EU on an FAA licence.

I can't understand that. EU member states are all recognised as individual countries by the USA - it is not a federal union - YET. The EU is not a country of residence. Therefore, while the BASA may be applied by each EU member countries, it does not compute (to me) that it can be applied to EU residency (there is no such thing). I am no lawyer, but I think you are wrong.

I am not a lawyer either, but I don't see that it matters if EU member states are recognised as individual countries by the USA, what counts is how the EU implements the BASA, which was required by (EU) 2018/1139.
By James Chan
At a guess Grants Shapps himself may have had to re-register: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 03401.html
By Dave W
Colonel Panic wrote:... on what basis does the CAA feel the need to mandate this change...

That does seem to be the pachyderm in the parlour, yes.
DfT wrote:The CAA made the decision to...

Why? On what grounds?

It would seem reasonable to require - indeed, expect - an explanation of that decision process, especially given the impact it has.
By DavidC
patowalker wrote:
"up to 9,000 European residents hold FAA pilot certificates.”

http://jdasolutions.aero/blog/easa-faa- ... son-detre/

Not convinced about the numbers suggested here. Broadly, there will be

1) Private pilots flying on FAA certificates who only want/need VFR capabilities. I'd guess quite a few would already have a UK/EASA PPL (or would have had one in the past that could be renewed).

2) Private pilots flying on FAA certificates with an FAA IR. I suspect many will already have UK PPL and be using a piggyback FAA certificate that hosts their IR. For them, it's passing the Initial IR Skill Test (no theory required) which is not trivial and could be expected to require some

3) Commercial pilots, resident in the UK, flying N-Reg commercially. Hard to know what UK/EASA qualifications they might already have and/or options their employers will choose for them. Some might retain a CPL but then have retired and be flying privately, but I think for the purposes of this forum's audience they can be ignored.

The FAA publish quite extensive data about the number of active airmen, their qualifications and region. Unfortunately, they only separate out figures for the rest of the world and don't break that down into Europe and/or UK.

Using the spreadsheet for end 2020:
Table 5 lists 6,537 active private airplane pilots with an FAA licence resident outside the US
Table 9 lists 1,531 Private airplane pilots with an IR outside the US
It also lists over 17,000 commercial and ATP rated pilots with an IR outside the US.

I do not know whether the 1,531 include those like me who have a piggyback 61.75 issued with an IR on the basis of my UK one, but if so I suspect there are not many.

These are WORLDWIDE figures, not UK or even Europe, but an educated guess at the number of pilots like G-BLEW who look likely to have to choose between scud running to the coast vs passing an UK Initial IR is perhaps in the low hundreds. There's the option of using a one-off validation to postpone the pain by 12 months for a CAA fee of £372 which would delay the inevitable until end 2023.
By NigelC
SteveX wrote:
G-BLEW wrote:
G-JWTP wrote:So I assume then, that anyone who flys on FAA licence with IR attached is doubly stuffed.

It does look that way. Anyone using an FAA licence and IR should probably start to figure out how they might convert to the UK equivalents.

I *think* it will be legal to fly N reg on an FAA licence and IR throughout Europe, so you could always scud run to the FIR border before joining the airways.

Ian

I hope so or else that is United/American/Delta airlines all done for!

No United/American/Delta etc are owned and based in the USA flown by pilots normally resident or employed in the USA so are unaffected.