Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
johnm wrote:As @GrahamB points out we're operating under a snapshot of EASA regulations parts of which we can't change without primary legislation which implies time on the Parliamentary agenda and work in DfT.

The CAA has set a December deadline. I suggest that it could have replaced that with 'until further notice'. I do not understand the motivation behind the current policy.

Ian
johnm, kanga, flybymike liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If it's any consolation @G-BLEW it's quite a long time since the actions of any public body made any sense to me....
terrybarr liked this
By vahgatsi
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:May I suggest that the managemenf of licences for third country licencees in the UK since 31/12/20 has nowt to do with the EU or EASA.

Agreed and I don't give a txxs about what EASA/EU choose to do for their own citizens in this respect (except out of concern for my Greek, French and German friends) as I can still fly an N-reg aircraft on my FAA license anywhere in the world, including the EU/EASA countries - just not in the UK after December,... it seems. And it appears, similarly, that a French citizen will continue to be able to fly an N-reg aircraft on a FAA license anywhere in the world except France.
By vahgatsi
I would still be very grateful if anyone can point to the relevant CAA publication/statement that explicitly states that after December you will HAVE to have a UK license to fly a N-reg aircraft in UK airspace if you are a UK resident.

By the way, I don't know if everyone is aware but I learnt from the CAA only a couple of years ago that UK airspace does NOT include the airspace of the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands. Until then I had been ignorant of that fact. I expect everyone else already knew that! Silly me!
By patowalker
vahgatsi wrote: And it appears, similarly, that a French citizen will continue to be able to fly an N-reg aircraft on a FAA license anywhere in the world except France.

No. The BASA applies to the EU, so a French citizen residing in the EU will not be able to fly in the EU on an FAA licence.
johnm liked this
By vahgatsi
patowalker wrote:
vahgatsi wrote: And it appears, similarly, that a French citizen will continue to be able to fly an N-reg aircraft on a FAA license anywhere in the world except France.

No. The BASA applies to the EU, so a French citizen residing in the EU will not be able to fly in the EU on an FAA licence.

I can't understand that. EU member states are all recognised as individual countries by the USA - it is not a federal union - YET. The EU is not a country of residence. Therefore, while the BASA may be applied by each EU member countries, it does not compute (to me) that it can be applied to EU residency (there is no such thing). I am no lawyer, but I think you are wrong.
By Dave W
This is interesting, regarding an apparent change in policy by the FAA regarding "61.75" piggyback certificates:

AOPA Lux wrote:The FAA used to issue a Foreign based private pilot license without requiring the pilot to take the written exams or a skill test. This is not the case anymore. If requesting a Foreign based PPL from the FAA, you will have to take the written and pass a skill test.

That's new!

14 cfr part 61 section 61.75 doesn't appear to say anything different to what it has for many years. Anybody know where chapter and verse on this is (assuming it is accurate)?
By vahgatsi
Dave W wrote:This is interesting, regarding an apparent change in policy by the FAA regarding "61.75" piggyback certificates:

AOPA Lux wrote:The FAA used to issue a Foreign based private pilot license without requiring the pilot to take the written exams or a skill test. This is not the case anymore. If requesting a Foreign based PPL from the FAA, you will have to take the written and pass a skill test.

That's new!

If true, I assume it is in the context of the BASA with the EU and therefore not necessarily applicable to 61.75 applicants from the rest of the world (which includes the UK).

The FAA Title 14 → Chapter I → Subchapter D → Part 61 → Subpart B → §61.75 current as at 17 June 2021 makes no mention of the additional requirement. See https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?S ... 5&rgn=div8
By johnm
It's very tricky to comprehend all this, I am assuming that EASA/FAA have agreed the BASA and so it will now apply in every EASA state. We are not an EASA state but we are operating to EASA rules as they were in December 2020, but we are not party to the BASA.

Good innit :roll: