Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
It wasn't the CAA, but the DfT!

In this post I suggested that it was the CAA that took the decision to make life difficult for people flying on FAA certificates while living in the UK. I based this information on a reply I got from the DfT (see linked post).

I have now received a second letter (below) which omits that information. I was surprised that a decision of that magnitude would have been taken by the CAA without direction from the DfT, so we can now see that it was a DfT decision all along. The big remaining question of course is why?

I will ask. Again.

kanga liked this
By jakob1427
The reply I got from DfT when I emailed Grant was the same copy and paste with no real explanation to my questions :roll: (although I did get someone with a more sensible name than Aviation Directorate)

By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
jakob1427 wrote:(although I did get someone with a more sensible name than Aviation Directorate)

Seems slightly ashamed of the word safety in his title though....
Write back and say you as you won't be able to fly 90kt pa28s sedately around Southern England as you had hoped, you have decided to fly at double that speed in a RV, which being non-part 21, seems to be permitted by the ANO. Clearly non part21 must be a lot safer than part21 if a safety group in the DfT only want to restrict you on part21s.
By jakob1427
Do my eyes deceive me, or have the CAA just replied to my letter (where I asked them the question @Irv Lee put about part-21 / non-part-21 aircraft) stating that all this does NOT apply to Non-Part-21 Aircraft.

So it looks like the official word is that as long as you fly a Non-Part-21 Aircraft you can fly it perfectly fine for private purposes on an FAA licence going forward and won't have to convert to a UK Part-FCL.

By Irv Lee
jakob1427 wrote:Do my eyes deceive me, or have the CAA just replied to my letter (where I asked them the question @Irv Lee put about part-21 / non-part-21 aircraft) stating that all this does NOT apply to Non-Part-21 Aircraft.

Your eyes do deceive you... it was from the DfT not CAA! - which is fine, except I suspect they will now be working on a 2022 change for that! Enjoy whilst you can!
By skydriller
Bald Sparrow wrote:
Dave W wrote:Still no answer to the "Why?" question, I note.

As with other parts of aviation regulation, we seem to following the EU without having a say.

And in this particular case I cant see a reason to follow the EU regulation.
By Irv Lee
Bald Sparrow wrote:
Dave W wrote:Still no answer to the "Why?" question, I note.

As with other parts of aviation regulation, we seem to following the EU without having a say.

Well I know ssea holders happily flying Part21 aircraft again now, I know many more flying them with a pmd, and next time I cross class D vfr, I will quite likely benefit from the new cloud separation rules.
Now the why:
Apart from the suggestion that someone wants to follow Easa, I have no information but wonder if, concerning FAA flying G reg:
1) If we go to US for first time for flying there, one thing we need is an faa certificate (ppl).. We seem to have so many newbies playing in the CAA sandpit, I do wonder if they appreciate we are just given the faa licence. Then a BFR is needed - and having done many voluntary "intro to UK" navexs and also had a feedback from FAA pilots on my radio/airspace course, I think that would be reasonable especially if it concentrated more on nav than handling.
2) if everyone actually understands all of the above, I wonder if the "get a UK licence" is kneejerk - eg unexplained higher % of infringements, or, a small number of very serious infringements with the CAA blocked from investigating for some reason to do with pilot being FAA licensed. Certainly unfair on those with only 50-60 hours as they cannot convert.
By Bald Sparrow
Irv Lee wrote:Well I know ssea holders happily flying Part21 aircraft again now, I know many more flying them with a pmd, and next time I cross class D vfr, I will quite likely benefit from the new cloud separation rules.

I am sure we are all grateful for exemptions from some EU rules.
It would be impossible to immediately ditch the regulations that the UK has spent the last 20 years slowly adopting but maybe the exemptions will, over time, turn into a new set of UK regulations.

But to differentiate between Non-Part-21 and Part-21 aircraft when allowing or not the continued use of an FAA pilot certificate in UK airspace is just nuts. Can you imagine the confusion if someone ramp-checks a Non-Part-21 aircraft. Will the pilot need a copy of the letter published earlier?

Maybe it is something to do with on-going negotiations between UK and EASA/EU?
By Genghis the Engineer
Bald Sparrow wrote:But to differentiate between Non-Part-21 and Part-21 aircraft when allowing or not the continued use of an FAA pilot certificate in UK airspace is just nuts. Can you imagine the confusion if someone ramp-checks a Non-Part-21 aircraft. Will the pilot need a copy of the letter published earlier?

Maybe it is something to do with on-going negotiations between UK and EASA/EU?

To my mind, the ONLY distinction that should exist between part 21 and non-part-21 aircraft should be on airworthiness oversight. Anything else is either politics or makework.

G