Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
HansGruber wrote:Wow that's a lot of erm, speculative nonsense backed up with MANY pretty pictures.
It seems it was all done ON THE GROUND. Given it's reliance on mobile phone tech and that mobile phones are only designed to work on the ground:

It appears 9 9! of the posts on this page are @gaznav (so far). Isn't this massively misleading, obfuscating and unhelpful? Asking for a friend

I know Gaz is like marmite but he is posting about a unit that is very popular with foot launch flyers and it has no reliance on mobile phone tech.

Please remove the PAW blinkers and see that there are other devices out there.

Now I’ve posted in this thread twice so its not only Mr Marmite.
gaznav, dewidaniels liked this
VinceGod wrote:Gaz,

The Stratux EU unit I built uses the same TTGO T-Beam but is flashed with ESP32-OGN-Tracker firmware. This transmits OGNTP and PilotAware in parallel (in the future potentially also FANET) so covers more bases than SoftRF.

Thanks Vince. Have you got a link to the software for that, I might give it a go? :thumright:
Last edited by gaznav on Sat May 22, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Gaz,

Nil ADSB in or out here is it?

Seems a neat box for P3i and cheap and cheerful but other than that no progress beyond what PAW has on offer methinks?

Hans Gruber was already shady in the movie - no change there then.

If it is compulsory to post one's marmite preference, here goes - disgusting abomination it is.

:puker: :pukel:
gaznav, Peter Mundy liked this
By russp
HansGruber wrote:Wow that's a lot of erm, speculative nonsense backed up with MANY pretty pictures.
It seems it was all done ON THE GROUND. Given it's reliance on mobile phone tech and that mobile phones are only designed to work on the ground:
Isn't this massively misleading, obfuscating and unhelpful? Asking for a friend

It appears 9 9! of the posts on this page are @gaznav (so far), [e]is the idea to drowned out other voices and opinions? [/e]

Umm.. given it has absolutely nothing to do with mobile phone technology and isn't connected in any way to the mobile phone network it rather seems that it's this post that is "massively misleading, obfuscating and unhelpful" ... not pointing this out on behalf of a friend.

FWIW personally I see the extra cost of a PAW unit as well worth the extra money but that's just me .. whatever you still need adsb-out somehow, ideally from a transponder.
Flyin'Dutch', gaznav, ls8pilot and 1 others liked this
Tim Dawson wrote:No Gaz, it’s nothing to do with the WiFi settings, it’s a privacy thing. You need to explicitly say which apps are allowed to access devices on your network. Sometimes iOS seems to forget.

Bingo! Well done @Tim Dawson - thanks so much :thumleft:

Apparently under iOS14 this can happen. I didn’t even know this existed in the settings. Screenshots follow for those that may be interested (sorry Hans...)

Now working as advertised (but nothing now flying to detect!)
Tim Dawson liked this
@Flyin'Dutch'

FD - thanks. I still want to see if I can get 2 EC devices to provide traffic data directly to one Nav App (to increase the signal-type diversity). Vince’s software sounds interesting if you can push out 3 extra signal types on 868MHz from one device. As you know, I am a big fan of on-board detection, rather than relying on ground stations.

Iceman was asking about this dual connection in another thread. :thumright:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
gaznav wrote:
VinceGod wrote:Gaz,

The Stratux EU unit I built uses the same TTGO T-Beam but is flashed with ESP32-OGN-Tracker firmware. This transmits OGNTP and PilotAware in parallel (in the future potentially also FANET) so covers more bases than SoftRF.

Thanks Vince. Have you got a link to the software for that, I might give it a go? :thumright:

https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/wiki/Supported-Hardware

Transmitting OGN-Tracker or FANET would be beneficial for the foot launch bods and I see they are now developing small portable units to detect ADSB and warn if an aircraft is close by.

https://github.com/blinken/paradar

https://paradar.co.uk/products/paradar- ... ght-pilots
gaznav liked this
By skydriller
@HansGruber This device is NOT using the mobile phone network. You are confusing it with the "Safesky app" as on the flyer live broadcast the other night.

Oh, and wrt you comment directed @gaznav , for once he is actually reviewing something without banging on about SE2, so credit where its due eh?

Regards, SD..
I think it shows a lot of integrity that no one from the SE2 team has registered a username John McClane to use to rubbish any posts by the PAW team!

I know Gaznav isn’t actually part of the SE2 team, and this post isn’t about SE2,

but it’s about EC, and it’s not about PAW and that’s enough for Hans.

I thought long and hard about posting this, I won’t feed the “troll” further by replying to him in this thread. Maybe he’s already done his job, we are discussing him, not softRF.

Good review @gaznav
gaznav liked this
Thanks @VinceGod, really useful. I have had a quick look at the TTGO T-Beam firmware webpage that links off of the page you kindly shared here: https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/wiki/T ... or-Stratux

The first thing that is really useful is that it definitively answers @Rob P’s question about SoftRF - you can only select ONE protocol at a time.

It states:

But I’m kind of scratching my head on this one about OGN Tracker and P3i. OGN Tracker and P3i are received by ATOM ground-stations, and few see OGN Tracker airborne. So really only the addition of FANET will be the useful bit to go with P3i as the OGN Tracker has limited use as far as I can see (I started building one once, but soon realised it wouldn’t really offer much. So I stopped just short of testing it). It’s a real shame it doesn’t do legacy FLARM, P3i and FANET all at the same time - skipping the OGN Tracker. I’ll definitely keep an eye on this, thanks :thumright:

UPDATE: I would advise that the SoftRF device is used in receive only mode until you are assured it is cleared for use as a transmitter in the UK.

That paRADAR looks pretty neat for an ADS-B receiver. I like the way they have integrated the sector LEDs into the device. Really good for SSDR, paramotor and paraglider flying where space is a real premium. https://paradar.co.uk/
Last edited by gaznav on Thu May 27, 2021 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
@gaznav The designer has done a good job at integration

You can remove the GPS from Pilotaware, replace with this configured as FLARM
Configure Pilotaware as FLARM IN, so it thinks it is a Flarm device, and this gives you :-
- Pilotaware in/out
- Flarm in/out (Tactical Data)
- ADSB in
- CAP1391 in
- ModeC (Bearingless Data)
- ModeS (Bearingless Data)
- ATOM/GRID Assisted
— ModeS/3D
— Flarm in (Strategic Data)
— OGN in (Strategic Data)
— FANET in (Strategic Data)
— METAR Data