Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
bladerunner911 wrote:Great news about RR. Encouraging to see this work being completed on small aircraft, thanks for sharing!
@JodelDavo nice catch on the article title, I missed that. I've changed my post title so I don't look like a complete amateur :lol:

With a name like Bladerunner, are you sure you didn’t mean a woodworking plane :lol:
bladerunner911 liked this
Great to see NASA in the game, and I went to a really interesting lecture by one of their senior research engineers at Cranfield a couple of years ago, and it was clear that at-least on a theoretical level, they were very engaged with the topic.

But if anybody's leading, let's give credit where it's due, it is the Slovenians, particularly Pipistrel, but also various supply organisations around them.

Britain is trying hard to catch up however, and this country is actually going to be very much one of the places to watch. Projects I know of include:-

Accel - the Rolls Royce high performance single seater.

EnabEl - Collaboration of Cranfield University, TLAC, Flylight and CDO2 to build two all-electric microlights

Vertical Aerospace - VTOLish multi-rotor

ZeroAvia - Hydrogen fuel cell + electric, has been flying a single, recent accident that looks repairable, further aircraft planned.

Hybrid Air Vehicles - Heavier than air "airship", has flown with Diesel engines, exploring electric flight.

NUNCATS - Electric Zenair CH750 at Old Buckenham

University of Nottingham - Electric Cassutt IIIM being built to compete in Air Race E.

SAMAD Aerospace - eStarling VTOLish flying wingish.

Project Fresson - Cranfield Aerospace Solutions + Britten Norman + others, hybrid/electric Islander.

I'm too involved in a couple of them myself to start expressing any public opinions about which will specifically succeed or fail, although from this list I'll confidently predict that there will be both successes and failures. However I think that the size of this list alone means that whilst the country to watch over the last decade has been Slovenia, over the next decade it might well be the UK.

I'm delighted to see NASA in the game, but leading? To be honest, they're not.

G
bladerunner911, kanga liked this
Looks good, Genghis.

But one small correction - Accel, the Electroflight/RR high performance single seater. Roger Targett has been dreaming about, and working on, this concept for many years. Since long before it was trendy. Credit where it’s due and all that.
The RR accel project is not the Electroflight / Targett aircraft design however. To the best of my knowledge, that aircraft design was abandoned and an American kitplane platform was bought in when RR got involved. Roger Targett does indeed deserve credit for selling the concept to Rolls, I agree.

G
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
GtE wrote:Great to see NASA in the game, and I went to a really interesting lecture by one of their senior research engineers at Cranfield a couple of years ago, and it was clear that at-least on a theoretical level, they were very engaged with the topic.

X-57 (NASA's electric aircraft based on a Tecnam P2006) dates back to at least 2017

Ian
G-BLEW wrote:
GtE wrote:Great to see NASA in the game, and I went to a really interesting lecture by one of their senior research engineers at Cranfield a couple of years ago, and it was clear that at-least on a theoretical level, they were very engaged with the topic.

X-57 (NASA's electric aircraft based on a Tecnam P2006) dates back to at least 2017

Ian

Present company clearly excepted, it's not unusual to see British journalists report something that happened years ago outside the M25 as "breaking news" is it! Nonetheless I'd stand by my comments - NASA are creeping into the game, and doing good work, from which hopefully we'll all learn, but they're not leading it.

G
kanga, Flyingfemme liked this
By 602fan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Genghis - don't forget Ampaire, who's 337EEL is on its way to the UK, if not already here. I'll be spending a couple of weeks with them in Kirkwall. Trials due to start mid-July...

TBH I think the only reason the likes of Ampaire and ZeroAvia are here is that we're (the UK), relatively speaking, chucking money at the problem. It's free money to these offshore companies. Happy to stand corrected though.

NASA? Currently nowhere close to driving the tech forwards IMHO