Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Why would someone choose to end their career like that?

I suspect because she knew they would be permanently grounded for another reason sometime soon, and although she had been working for the FAA for a long time, it was clear, from reading her collumn, that she was not a conformist.

She did what she felt what she had to do.

The FAA in return did what it had to do.
By Josh
Yet only weeks ago we had a long and enjoyable "if you could" thread.

I'm a long way from the end of my career, but if I managed to end it in "walking out to the aircraft knowing it's my last flight" fashion I would certainly wrestle with temptation to do something fun.
Iceman, Spooky, Charles Hunt and 2 others liked this
By MattL
A couple of my old Squadron bosses used to deliberately pull people before what they thought was going to be their last flight for exactly the kind of ‘last trip showboat’ reason
By A4 Pacific
I suspect because she knew they would be permanently grounded for another reason sometime soon, and although she had been working for the FAA for a long time, it was clear, from reading her collumn, that she was not a conformist.

As intriguing as your hypothesis sounds, and as I’m sure you’re aware, the pilot’s license and all ratings were not revoked for their stunt! (Unexpectedly captured on a security camera!) Their license privileges were revoked because in a tragic coincidence their ADSB transponder briefly malfunctioned simultaneously to their lapse in judgement.

Flying under a bridge would only have resulted in a brief license suspension. The pilot knew that from their time as a regional FAA Safety Officer. But viciously the FAA investigation believed an attempt to conceal rule breaking had occurred. They don’t really like that!

Looking on the bright side, whilst the loss of all licenses and ratings is permanent, the ban to retraining usually lasts 12 months. In this pilot’s case that period has been reduced to 9 after appeal by their team.

Also their high profile column in the quite excellent ‘Flying’ magazine continues, though for me personally, that fact reflects poorly on the publication.
Last edited by A4 Pacific on Mon May 17, 2021 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JAFO liked this
By PeteSpencer
The FAA were perfectly correct to do what they did.

But they have done a bit of an 'Admiral Byng' on her................... :wink:
By A4 Pacific
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:1. A regulator will often go for the easiest successful route;
2. Flying column has gone too as far as I know - for the very reason you give.

1. The pilot is allegedly studying for a brand new license, which suggests they didn’t expect to lose their old one?

2. The pilot’s column is still present in this month’s (May) magazine, with no suggestion it is the last?
By JAFO
A4 Pacific wrote:Also their high profile column in the quite excellent ‘Flying’ magazine continues, though for me personally, that fact reflects poorly on the publication.

I agreed with everything you wrote except this. She still knows a heck of a lot about flying and has a great deal to share in a very interesting and enjoyable way.

I was surprised when this story came up as it's a couple of months old, now. It's obviously taken the Times some time to pick up on it.
By skydriller
This story is at least a month old. The pilot in question has obviously been made an example of by the FAA and if you read the commentary in the US press there is pushback against ADSB use now - not just because of this, but various reports of other government agencies attempting to use tracking websites to intimidate and try to prosecute pilots.

MattL wrote:A couple of my old Squadron bosses used to deliberately pull people before what they thought was going to be their last flight for exactly the kind of ‘last trip showboat’ reason

I kinda get the idea of what you say, but are there actually stats to show that a "last flight" is more likely to result in a crash? I cant help but think that such action would ferment a considerable amount of bitterness, not just amongst those stopping flying having their "last mission pulled", but across the board?

Regards, SD..
JAFO liked this
By A4 Pacific
She still knows a heck of a lot about flying and has a great deal to share in a very interesting and enjoyable way.

Thousands if not tens of thousands know a heck of a lot about flying. Many of them will be able to write in an engaging fashion. A few of them will be consummate professionals.

This ageing pilot didn’t just intentionally break the rules. This particular pilot shouldn’t just have ‘known better’! This pilot didn’t just attempt to conceal their rule breaking. This pilot still attempts to deny that concealment rather than just holding their hands up. To me that fact alone suggests this pilot thinks a lot of themselves, though I have also heard that elsewhere.

Whether they like it or not, people with high profiles become role models. In this business it’s important we pick the right ones.

This pilot is teaching all the wrong lessons and it’s that they will forever be associated with.

I’ve been reading Flying magazine ever since spending a weekend in the company of Dick Collins almost thirty years ago. They should cease any association with pilots who think they are Tom Cruise’s Maverick’!
Last edited by A4 Pacific on Mon May 17, 2021 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Flyin'Dutch', Ben K, Katamarino and 1 others liked this