Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My TB20 now has three distinct WiFi networks, each with its own SSID. The Avidyne IFR FMS sits on the first network and utilises the associated IFD100 app for runtime control and remote EFIS display; also, route upload from SkyDemon / ForeFlight. The second network is associated with the Golze weather radar which has its own panel-mount touch-screen display but is most easily controlled via its own WiFi app. The Golze weather radar can also usefully be overlaid on SkyDemon / ForeFlight. The third network is now the SkyEcho2 for traffic.

The problem is that my single iPad can only connect to one WiFi network at a time and it’s a major pain in-flight swapping network in order to update the IFD / Golze, losing SE traffic for the duration. I also can’t receive SE traffic and weather radar data simultaneously as they’re on two different networks. Has no avionics manufacturer considered this multi-network problem ? Ideally, there’d be a network hub that allows my single iPad to talk on all three networks simultaneously without having to dynamically change the iPad network connection, apps automatically talking to their respective unit.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Sun May 16, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By TopCat
Iceman wrote:The problem is that my single iPad can only connect to one WiFi network at a time and it’s a major pain in-flight swapping network

I only use SE2, and this is already a pain. I book out online on the tablet, tethered to the phone as a hotspot, and then I have to switch the tablet over to the SE2's network. At least I can do that before I get airborne, but it makes any kind of live update impossible without a lot of mucking about.

It would be nice to have the SE2 talk to the tablet, with them both being on the phone's wifi network.

It would make the config a little more difficult as it would be the phone allocating IP addresses, which would make it harder to know which IP to use to connect to the SE2's web server. But it's hard to imagine it's that hard for someone that knows what they're doing.

Is it too much to hope for that it could be achieved with a firmware update and possibly an app on the phone for the setup?
The Avidyne can certainly join another network, but I don't know for the others. Stratux can certainly also join and existing network so I would have thought the Skyecho can too. If that is the case, then make the IFD and Skyecho join the ADL network and have all service available to all devices (available does not necessarily mean usable or displayable of course!)
Iceman wrote:@Awful Charlie, I tried pairing the Avidyne and ADL networks by way of the Avidyne configuration, but without apparent success (I recall not then getting any sense out of either device). Have you successfully managed to achieve this specific pairing ?

Iceman 8)

Yes indeed, albeit not exactly the same units (I don't have an ADL) - my 540 joins my Stratux wifi - in fact that is what your Foreflight connected to when inbound to Osh (hence you got the ADSB traffic from the Stratux and the position/flight plan from the IFD)
Iceman liked this
By Iceman
@marioair, which variant of ADL do you have. My TB20 has the ADL110B which was the early variant with the panel-mount touch-screen display. I didn’t have much success when I set the IFD as a client on the ADL network, and I’m not sure that you can set the ADL110B up to be a client on another network.

Iceman 8)
By Iceman
@IMCR, do you mean dual-band capability or are you referring to the use of two adjacent channels in the 5GHz band ? Neither of these would appear to solve the issue of using two SSIDs simultaneously in the 2.4 GHz band, i.e., simultaneously logging on to two networks, each with a distinct password.

Iceman 8)