Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Apparently there are now powered hang-glider-like machines called "70kg deregulated" - they (apparently) do not need a registration. If the pilot had a radio licence, and a radio, what callsign should he/she use?
I am doing my Zoom radio course this weekend and the question was raised, I had not heard of them. The one asking was told by "mates" to make one up!!!! (He realises this is not good advice)
My guess is that on applying for a licence to install a radio or carry a "transportable radio" is that the owner would be issued with a call sign that would apply to the machine identified by its makers number.
Such an aircraft if flown by a licenced pilot can be registered as an SSDR, then of course it would follow a more nomal convention.
My guess would be that use of a radio in an unregulated and unregistered aircraft falls outside the Wireless Telegraphy Act (or rather, inside the Act in terms of what you cannot do) and therefore the question regarding callsign is irrelevant.

The CAA website wrote:The Flight Radiotelephony Operator's Licence (FRTOL) authorises you to operate an Aircraft Radio Station in a UK registered aircraft.
which is far from definitive but serves as a prompt to dig deeper into the legalities.
Irv Lee wrote:Apparently there are now powered hang-glider-like machines called "70kg deregulated" - they (apparently) do not need a registration. If the pilot had a radio licence, and a radio, what callsign should he/she use?
I am doing my Zoom radio course this weekend and the question was raised, I had not heard of them. The one asking was told by "mates" to make one up!!!! (He realises this is not good advice)

There cant be many adults in the UK that are less than 70kg before adding the weight of a power plant, a mobile phone, an EC device,...
and a radio... :wink:
I seem to recall that ,in those happy days before Gliders had to sport a G-REG ,you could register any call sign you liked when you took out the aircraft radio licence. Most people used their competition number (shown on the tail of most gliders) but there were more inventive ones, I remember Rhubarb and Custard (one for the glider, one for the ground crew).....
[quote="GAFlyer4Fun"
There cant be many adults in the UK that are less than 70kg before adding the weight of a power plant, a mobile phone, an EC device,...
and a radio... :wink:[/quote]

· an aircraft comprising of an aerofoil wing and a mechanical propulsion device which a) has a stall speed or minimum steady flight speed in the landing configuration not exceeding 20 knots calibrated airspeed; and b) has a maximum unladen mass, including full fuel, of 70 kg, or 75 kg if the aircraft is equipped with an emergency parachute recovery system.
Could be fun.............a Pea Bee will carrypilot and baggage of 120kg.
GAFlyer4Fun liked this