Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Today commemorating 80 years since the first flight of the Gloster E28/39 from Cranwell and the dogged determination of a young officer to make it so.

Ps, yes I know @Kanga that technically the first time that a jet propelled aircraft lifted off the ground was earlier at Brockworth, but the first real flight was at Cranners :thumright:
JAFO, kanga, Paul_Sengupta liked this
By Hooligan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hazel C wrote:Today commemorating 80 years since the first flight of the Gloster E28/39 from Cranwell and the dogged determination of a young officer to make it so.

Ps, yes I know @Kanga that technically the first time that a jet propelled aircraft lifted off the ground was earlier at Brockworth, but the first real flight was at Cranners :thumright:

In Britain of course... The Heinkel He178 flew in 1939, but I think Whittle was the first to get a turbojet running in early 1937.
kanga, Hazel C liked this
That 'official' first flight was duly remembered at the JAM volunteer guides' pre-reopening meeting, at the Museum this morning :)

(see 'Fly-ins' thread entry which I shall shortly post)

.. but many thanks to HazelC for reminding other Forumites :thumright:
Hazel C liked this