Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Ibra
TopCat wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:Reaching critical AoA at low speed you will probably have a large stick/yoke deflection.

Agreed.
Reaching critical AoA at high speed you may well have a very different stick/yoke deflection.

Can you elaborate?

I haven't looked carefully, but if I let the speed decay towards the stall, at say 78 knots (ie 55 x 1.41) in a 60 degree banked turn, I'm pulling quite hard, and the yoke is quite a long way out.

I'll try and remember to try it and look next time I fly.

G load on turns or G load wings level on bottom of loop scramble it but yes it still a long way of control travel, most likely aircract will never stall with stick/yoke locked on neutral pitch travel (not in let go unless it's trimed there)
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Threat of bad weather today meant an Error in judgement in pilot’s minds resulting in many Managing to not go flying today.
They stayed safe, but missed some beautiful flying weather.

Me too.
But for me the Threat to my bank balance which is not what it could have been due to the many Errors I have made (being a poor poor very poor flying instructor :pale: ) in life means I need careful financial Management.

Stay Safe!

Norman Jones did indeed place placards, “All Aircraft Bite Fools” in his aeroplanes, whilst his son D Michael Jones could be quoted: “I wish all my aeroplanes were made of concrete, and then they would only have taxying accidents.”

Are acronyms a form of roboticising the human being?
Charles Hunt liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We've had so many of these things come and go in work and not really mean anything, just management *thinks* it means something, that I now essentially ignore all of it and just wait for it to go away to be replaced with the next big thing. Inevitably the people who advocate all this stuff will have moved on by then anyway.

leiafee wrote:It’s fundamentally poor teaching technique to do it the other way round - you don’t lead with the definition or an acronym.

Do you think eventually we could do away with the acronyms all together? ;-)

As I CFIT wrote:
matthew_w100 wrote:And, sadly, increasingly that is the path that I take.

It's unfortunate that you feel this way but perhaps you've slightly misunderstood the concept. Whilst striving to increase safety by reducing risk is a part of it, I believe that the broader spirit of TEM is to attempt to anticipate foreseeable problems and take some sort of action to prevent what you've identified as being a possible undesirable outcome from happening.

You mean do what we've always done and what the PPL course tries to prepare you for?

Shoestring Flyer wrote:When you do eventually become completely removed from that type of environment it soon quickly dawns that the subject matter, whatever that may be you are trying to get over, does not need to be in incomprehensible jargon and could be far better and easily explained in much more plain, straightforward and simpler terms and language.

It should be placed in the sandbox.

I was going to ask about single pilot CRM, are we not all just talking about the same thing? Maybe it's not the "in" term any more.
By As I CFIT
Paul_Sengupta wrote:You mean do what we've always done and what the PPL course tries to prepare you for?

TEM is evidently similar to CRM in that the people who are receptive probably do it well already, whereas those who need it the most will probably be dismissive of the idea.
By Josh
I've read this thread with great interest, and have learned a lot from it.

I am a big believer in how effective Threat and Error Management can be, and as many have said, it's something that many experienced pilots are doing naturally. I also think it's a very effective way of teaching some elements of the indefninable airmanship, particularly to inexperienced pilots. However, it has been a big reminder (as @leiafee has put well) of the importance of tailoring your argument to your audience.

I suspect if one were to discuss the way of thinking that TEM looks to instil with zero buzzwords in any instructional setting, most pilots would be very receptive. For those like @matthew_w100 who feel this sort of thing is just over-professionalising the joy of a simple local flight I do understand that this seems like massively over-complicating your day. However, what it's really about is what is relevant on the day and focussing on that, and not wasting time on things that are not.

It's also really important to emphasise that you might decide on thinking about it that there's nothing really out of the ordinary today and nothing needs any attention over and above your normal flying routine. I appreciate there's a big danger that those of us who fly for a living try to overcomplicate things, and import concepts and practices of dubious relevance, but I strongly feel this ain't one of them. Fight me...
F70100, Rob P, T6Harvard liked this
By Flyingfemme
Maybe TEM should be standard teaching in school? We seem to be breeding an adult population incapable of assessing risk or doing anything sensible about it. Covid has shown that very clearly. It has application in many things that grownups do from day to day, especially those of us who own/use power tools or vehicles.
Dave W, JAFO, Hooligan and 1 others liked this
By Mike Tango
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Can someone please remind me what DODAR and NITS stand for?

Flintstone? :D

DODAR is assessing and decision making...

Diagnose the problem
Options available
Decide what to do
Allocate tasks
Review

NITS is communicating to relevant parties...

Nature of the emergency
Intentions of the crew
Time available
Supplementary information
By Josh
Kemble Pitts wrote:7 pages...

Must be a slow news day.

Pubs and restaurants are open properly. Kids are in school. Quality of posting from this callsign may decay exponentially over the day (from a pretty low base already :twisted:)
Hooligan liked this
Josh wrote:
Kemble Pitts wrote:7 pages...

Must be a slow news day.

Pubs and restaurants are open properly. Kids are in school. Quality of posting from this callsign may decay exponentially over the day (from a pretty low base already :twisted:)

I was thinking about mentioning over-head joins but, well ...
townleyc liked this