Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rallye
Rob P wrote:
Plan the flight properly.
What might go wrong?
What can I do to stop it from going wrong'
What will I do if it does?

I think this is excellent. :thumleft:

But what we now need to do is give it a TLA, such as SDP (for SkyDriller Protocol) and then write lengthy articles about the necessity for, and desirability of the protocol being observed for every flight.

Ideally "SDP" should appear at least once a paragraph and the actual explanation is currently far too succinct, so let's put together a 100 screen Powerpoint to clarify it.

Rob P

Please,may i have an aspirine.I have headache with that TEM ...
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
AndyR wrote:
patowalker wrote:What's a stall warner?

The best one is the stick or yoke. Learn the position of critical angle of attack for a particular aircraft and it’s a very good guide.

I've always wondered why the yoke shaft is not a different (bright) colour when pulled out enough to be nearing critical AoA.

Ian
flybymike, Rob P, TopCat and 3 others liked this
By Rob P
Because it would be unfair those of us with sticks rather than yokes, so in this woke world of equality would be discriminatory?

Rob P
Rob L, Charles Hunt liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:Because it would be unfair those of us with sticks rather than yokes, so in this woke world of equality would be discriminatory?

On the contrary...

Those of us with yokes rather than sticks (and the little wheel at the wrong end) have been told we're inferior for so long that we're used to living under the oppression of the stickriarchy.

Such a yoke-only mod, as desirable positive discrimination, would go a little way to addressing stick supremacy and tailwheeler fragility.
Rob P liked this
By Lockhaven
G-BLEW wrote:
AndyR wrote:

The best one is the stick or yoke. Learn the position of critical angle of attack for a particular aircraft and it’s a very good guide.

I've always wondered why the yoke shaft is not a different (bright) colour when pulled out enough to be nearing critical AoA.

Ian

Because the stick/yoke position is not always in the same position at the critical AoA so colour coding it wouldn't make a difference.
As I CFIT liked this
By As I CFIT
PeteM wrote:I've seen articles suggesting TEM for single pilot operations - nonsense - just people talking to themselves!

It seems that you're confusing TEM for CRM.

One pilot or two, there are threats to be considered and potential errors to be made so TEM is equally applicable to both. It could be argued that TEM is actually more important in single-pilot ops because there's more chance of a developing situation going un-noticed due to a lack of dedicated monitoring.

I agree that single-pilot CRM is nonsense when using the newer definition, whereby the 'C' stands for 'Crew'. If referring to 'Cockpit Resource Management' then that's also applicable to the single pilot!
By TopCat
Lockhaven wrote:
G-BLEW wrote:
AndyR wrote:The best one is the stick or yoke. Learn the position of critical angle of attack for a particular aircraft and it’s a very good guide.

Because the stick/yoke position is not always in the same position at the critical AoA so colour coding it wouldn't make a difference.

Is it not?

Power would make a difference, perhaps, as you get more elevator authority if there's more airflow. Would flaps make a difference too?

But for a given power and flap setting, I thought it was pretty consistent.
By Lockhaven
TopCat wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:
G-BLEW wrote:

Is it not? I thought it was pretty consistent.

Reaching critical AoA at low speed you will probably have a large stick/yoke deflection.

Reaching critical AoA at high speed you may well have a very different stick/yoke deflection.

You can stall your aircraft at any speed if you reach critical AoA, but stick deflection as a guide to critical AoA would only work for one configuration and speed.
By TopCat
Lockhaven wrote:Reaching critical AoA at low speed you will probably have a large stick/yoke deflection.

Agreed.
Reaching critical AoA at high speed you may well have a very different stick/yoke deflection.

Can you elaborate?

I haven't looked carefully, but if I let the speed decay towards the stall, at say 78 knots (ie 55 x 1.41) in a 60 degree banked turn, I'm pulling quite hard, and the yoke is quite a long way out.

I'll try and remember to try it and look next time I fly.
By MattL
Well for something that’s apparently jargonistic rubbish, mention of TEM has now got 6 pages of pilots discussing threats and errors and how to mitigate those when flying (or whatever language you prefer to use).

That’s a result in my book [which tends to mirror what I’ve found in real life as well]. You can call it what you like but by having these debates it’s all putting good stuff in our subconscious for that bad day when we might need it, quickly.

Of course the very fact that people are even on the forum, no matter what your take on stuff, puts them a few steps along the road of engagement - it’s the people who don’t read anything, don’t log on to anything and don’t discuss stuff with their mates that are the real hard to reach.
Lockhaven, Ibra, F70100 liked this
By patowalker
AndyR wrote:

Not always. My first stall warner was a horizontal bar, which got wobbly if pushed out too far. :D

Sorry, I asked the question in jest. I have never felt the need for an artificial stall warner. The feel of the stick and the airframe warns me when to expect pre-stall buffet.