Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Spamcan Defender
Having just read the new edition of the magazine (as always, very good!!) I couldnt help noticing a bit of text in the RV-14 article which piqued my interest.....

On page 30 in "Bill's journey" side bar it says...
"...Bill plans to get the aeroplane cleared for night and IFR...so that it can be used to visit many of the European destinations...."

Now, have I missed a change in the regs that now allows homebuilts to be flown IFR IN Europe or has the writer got themselves a tad confused??

The whole reason I gave up on building an IFR capable RV-7 was because the IFR capability couldnt legally be used outside UK..... :? :?

SD
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
IIRC (and I might not!), Steve Noujaim's RV7 record to CapeTown and back had, in his write-up, mentioned he'd managed to get permission for night/IFR outside the UK.

Not sure how, or what effort it took him.
By G-JWTP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A lot of blanket permissions issued by NAAs state something like ' must be operated as detailed on permit to fly ' or the such like.
So if its permit allows IFR then you should be good to go.

G-JWTP
By Ibra
There are load of "VFR only aircrafts" that are flown with VFR FPL but still well equipped for IFR/Night in case things go sour on long legs? or just peace of mind?

In Europe, at about 300nm legs one is guaranteed to touch clouds while flying non IFR aircrafts, at about 600nm legs one is guarateed to touch ice while flying non FIKI or non pressurized aircrafts, of course YMMV :D