Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sparks
Has anyone on the forum fitted an autopilot to a Sportcruiser ?
Aircraft in question is on a LAA permit to fly with standard six pack and I'm looking for advice with regard to ease of installation, effectiveness and cost etc.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Speak to Graham Smith 07973 254615   graham (at) spriteaviation.co.uk
He was the original SportCruiser importer and will be able to answer all your questions.
By Rob L
Sparks wrote:Has anyone on the forum fitted an autopilot to a Sportcruiser ?
Aircraft in question is on a LAA permit to fly with standard six pack and I'm looking for advice with regard to ease of installation, effectiveness and cost etc.

If I may politely ask; why do you want to fit an autopilot to a VFR fun-flying aircraft?

Rob
By Iceman
An auto-pilot is a factory-fit option on the PS28, the factory-built SportCruiser. It even has roll steering driven by the GPS and EHSI.

It can come in useful for those longer journeys, I guess.

Iceman 8)
Pete L liked this
By Rob L
Iceman wrote:An auto-pilot is a factory-fit option on the PS28, the factory-built SportCruiser. It even has roll steering driven by the GPS and EHSI.

It can come in useful for those longer journeys, I guess.

Iceman 8)

I guess too :? . Thanks for your reply, Iceman. For longer journeys, I'd get an IFR machine with higher wing loading for a more comfortable ride.

Autopilot in a lightweight 2-seater spells disaster to me, but I'm willing to be educated.

All the best,
Rob
By PeteSpencer
It would need some 'damping' or it would constantly be correcting the bounces/deviations of a lightly loaded aeroplane :pale: :puker:
By Dave W
Rob L wrote:For longer journeys, I'd get an IFR machine with higher wing loading for a more comfortable ride.

Why would you buy/rent/borrow another aircraft if you have your own, modifiable and set up as you wish? (Gains are typically adjustable, AIUI)

Everything's a compromise; people rightly can make their own decisions as to what works for their own particular circumstances.
By Rob L
Dave W wrote:
Rob L wrote:For longer journeys, I'd get an IFR machine with higher wing loading for a more comfortable ride.

Why would you buy/rent/borrow another aircraft if you have your own, modifiable and set up as you wish? (Gains are typically adjustable, AIUI)

Everything's a compromise; people rightly can make their own decisions as to what works for their own particular circumstances.

It was just my opinion about aircraft with low wing-loading using autopilot, which I don't see as being compatible , Dave W, so I'll bow to your better knowledge. No offense intended.
Rob
By Dave W
It's not better knowledge - it's suggesting people are allowed to make their own decisions and that reality always intrudes.

Not everybody can - or may want to - procure different aircraft for specific missions.
By russp
PaulSS wrote:
Autopilot in a lightweight 2-seater spells disaster to me

Please tell me more. My Eurofox has a 2 axis autopilot and I'd like to avoid any disasters.

And me ... I have 2 axis autopilot in my Foxbat and I'd similarly like to avoid any disasters
By Rob L
Well it seems I'm out of my depth on this thread...
I fly to FLY as opposed to a means of transport. I fly for the fun of it; with my hands & feet on the controls and the view out of the window; it appears that you press the autopilot button and sit back & relax whilst the cruise control takes you to you destination . Don't go to Denver.

Different strokes, perhaps.
Nick liked this
An autopilot in a SportCruiser is a very useful addition to have on long journey legs. Definitely worth having despite some limitations.
Some deference must be given to the weather conditions in which the aircraft is being flown. In turbulent conditions it will be necessary to disengage the autopilot and hand fly the aircraft due to the constant servo 'slip' change taking place which if left unattended will result in shearing one of the autopilot servo drive screws.
Cantabrigan liked this
By Alan64
Graham Smith is installing and testing a two axis autopilot in a Sport Cruiser at the moment.

I have a two axis MGL autopilot. Takes a bit of tuning to get setup well. Not perfected that yet and some say a three axis is better in a rather light aircraft.