Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sooty25
Rob L wrote:
Iceman wrote:I’m surprised that at least one of those aircraft didn’t have TCAS. A lucky escape for all by the look of it.

Iceman 8)

I bet you they both did.

Pilots were too busy fiddling with screens to look outside! :doh:
Lockhaven liked this
By Josh
Says a lot about the metroliner that it got back in one piece :shock:

Chalk up another bona CAPS save too.

I wouldn’t bother playing the lottery ever again if I were flying either aircraft given the amount of luck they’ve just used up!
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As it’s likely that at least one of these aircraft had full blown TCAS (always assuming they both had their transponders switched on), possibly backed up by TIS, it will make the accident report that much more interesting to read.

Iceman 8)
By Josh
Info from elsewhere suggests the Metroliner was on long final for runway 17L, the cirrus in a visual circuit for 17R and overshot.

Tower controlled airport too :shock:

Iceman liked this
By IMCR
Sooty25 wrote:
Rob L wrote:
Iceman wrote:I’m surprised that at least one of those aircraft didn’t have TCAS. A lucky escape for all by the look of it.

Iceman 8)

I bet you they both did.

Pilots were too busy fiddling with screens to look outside! :doh:

I think to be fair, if this was during the approach phase ( I think this has been suggested) then pilots may not be quite so conscious of TAs alerts especially if they believe ATC are providing some sort of service (not saying they shouldnt mind you, just the reality).

Does it look like the fixed u/c of the Cirrius has gone through the fusealage? If so it may have landed with more than the expected bump as these are a significant part of the energy absorption mechanism.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
From another pilot in the pattern.

Doing touch and go’s at Centennial this morning and heard this guy say he’d had a mid-air.
Definitely his lucky day. They said they saw a chute deploy, so might have been a Cirrus.
Hoping everyone is ok.

Update: After looking at the radar tracks, and listening to the tower tapes, it seems obvious to me what happened.
The Cirrus had a ground speed of 189 mph on a right base to 17R, and simply overshot the final, flying through the right side of the Metro.
There were not any prior calls about any problems prior to the collision.
The controller had called out the traffic to the Cirrus.
I had been flying in the pattern when this happened and the winds were light and variable at altitude.
Rule Number One: DO NOT OVERSHOOT FINAL!!!!!

This is my opinion only. Feel free to listen to the tapes and look at the tracks, and add your own thoughts.

Iceman 8)