Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By RisePilot
Dusty_B wrote:What utter tosh

I was speaking with Pooleys on this issue 10yrs before they ever produced anything electronic. In respect of what is possible today, Pooleys offering is quite poor.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TopCat wrote:I've got a ... 2000 Delage (sadly almost completely unused)...

I know the feeling; I have a 1998 Bahamas & Caribbean Pilot's Guide. Very well thumbed and dreamt over, but unsullied by any actual use. :?
By Iceman
Dave W wrote:I have a 1998 Bahamas & Caribbean Pilot's Guide.

I lent mine to someone at some point and it was never returned. I did get to Walkers Kay and Freeport though :thumright:.

I had a Delage at one point but can never recall using it in anger.

Iceman 8)
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
RisePilot wrote:In respect of what is possible today, Pooleys offering is quite poor.

What do you think is wrong with it?
By kanga
Iceman wrote:..
I had a Delage at one point ..

Iceman 8)

at Brooklands, I hope :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delage

[If I were to return to flying - most unlikely! - I'd probably again buy a loose-leaf flight guide; I liked being able to extract the pertinent destination airfield page to put into the kneepad. In the past I've bought Bottlang (once; expensive, but I liked the separate 'surrounding area' pages) and the older looseleaf Lockyear (as well as the later, smaller, bound, less preferred) one, but stuck mostly with Pooley's as familiar and adequate. Not seen a recent AFE]
Iceman liked this
By Iceman
The Delage guide was very heavy, only going into my flight back for trips to France. I’ve also had Botlangs for various foreign European countries, as well as the US and Bahamas / Caribbean flight guides. I probably wouldn’t carry a paper copy again unless I needed a backup to my single iPad.

Iceman 8)
By Rob P
Iceman wrote: ... only going into my flight back for trips to France.

So that's what you call the back pack you carry everywhere?

Rob P :lol:
Iceman liked this
By 2Donkeys
I use Foreflight with a huge Jepp subscription and a selection of optional VFR charts. For smaller fields, I use the individual AIPs (all of which are available by default) to check details against Foreflight's native data (if necessary). For fields with no AIP entry, I simply use the Internet. Many small fields publish more up-to-date information online than is available in the flight guides.

I used to be an avid Pooleys (and Delage) buyer for many years, but I think that the world has now moved on.
By theflyingscotsman
More fool me for buying the latest 2021 guide. Just had a flick through it and found a mountain of errors, some more obvious than others. For example, the Castle Kennedy plate has the location stated as 3nm W of Leyland, and a suggestion to contact Warton RAD for a LARS service.

A lot of the landing fees are incorrect which I can sort of understand as they are variable, however I can see some of them are several years out of date.
By Popeye
These days I prefer to visit the airfield's web site. I can print off most things I need and hopefully they'll be up to date, matters such as joins and noise abatement, for example.

However, for sofa browsing, a Pooleys or AFE make for good winter reading and planning.
Danny, 2Donkeys liked this
By malcolmfrost
theflyingscotsman wrote:More fool me for buying the latest 2021 guide. Just had a flick through it and found a mountain of errors, some more obvious than others. For example, the Castle Kennedy plate has the location stated as 3nm W of Leyland, and a suggestion to contact Warton RAD for a LARS service.

A lot of the landing fees are incorrect which I can sort of understand as they are variable, however I can see some of them are several years out of date.

I've got a feeling it's down to the airfields to send in updates but may be wrong.
By Peter_G
Iceman:
The Delage guide was very heavy, only going into my flight back for trips to France.

With the advance of the EFB I find I no longer need - and no longer miss - any printed Flight Guides.
The one publication I do still miss when going to France which has been out of print for about 10 years (and therefore I still rely on my old well-worn copy) is:
Le Guide des Escales The French Stopover Guide produced by Pilote plus.
For finding recommended Hotels, Restaurants and with items like: Les Bonnes Tables + "To see in Flight", it was invaluable.
Does anyone know of a modern substitute?
Iceman liked this
By Marvin
malcolmfrost wrote:
theflyingscotsman wrote:More fool me for buying the latest 2021 guide. Just had a flick through it and found a mountain of errors, some more obvious than others. For example, the Castle Kennedy plate has the location stated as 3nm W of Leyland, and a suggestion to contact Warton RAD for a LARS service.

I've got a feeling it's down to the airfields to send in updates but may be wrong.

I’m in regular contact with editors of the popular guides and they take any amendments and apply as required, even jeppeson.

There is a certain flight guide, bound volume, that is challenging however and I’ve not found a reliable means of contacting them and getting our info updated.
By SteveX
All very educational, back in 1972 I assumed there would be little future change in airfields so have kept my Pooleys from then and used it up to now. I have been a bit put out by the various queries/prosecutions I have had over the years with me insisting on things like:
Failed to contact Preston ATC
unable to locate Ashford
Thurleigh LARS not answering when trying to locate Castle Mill
Landing on 20 at Blackpool
Landing on 08 Cranfield (out of hours of course)
Trespass at Silloth and Samlesbury
Sywell saying I had landed off runway when I insisted they have 122m wide runways in my guide
Grindale farmers chasing me
Iceman, Paul_Sengupta, kanga liked this
By Shoestring Flyer

That must be the AFE guide then because the Pooleys 2021 guide has it all correct.