Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Those of you who followed my student struggles may recall the dream which carried me through, was that of one day flying the Chipmunk. Well, now I have achieved my tailwheel rating on the C140 (chosen as it was cheaper than a chipmunk) I am converting to the Chipmunk which also has the bonus of being much closer!

First time in the front seat last weekend and after some time spent on the ground with my FI talking me through the walk round, cockpit and practising the controls whilst we let the wind calm down a bit. I Strapped in and had first go at a cartridge start. I pulled the pull chord but couldnt get her to fire... turns out I was being too gentle. She is wonderful to control in the air, better than the C140, and keeps in balance well. Started getting to grips with the brakes as well. I think this is going to be the hardest thing to learn; along with the use of the flap lever.

Taxiing of course requires the classic side to side weave which takes a lot of getting used to with a mixture of throttle and brake. I did of course do it that way in teh C140 too, but it was easier in the 140. Take off seemed easier on the Chippy than the C140 though - smoother and more stable. Climb outs needed to check the speed a bit but got much better as I did more circuits. Flew into the local area to do some general handling and stalls. She turns beautifully.

Final turn, approach and landings are the trickest bit. The final turn and landing is where I now understand that the Chippy pilot requires three hands...this is going to take some learning! But one thing that I can do that I have not been able to do in any other aircraft is get her straight away on the centre line. I am usually landing left of centre! Odd, but must be the view looking stright over the nose I guess is easier than being slightly offset to the left in the Grob or C140.

Thats my first front seat trip in a nutshell, heres to many more! :D
Rob P, Highland Park, Lockhaven and 14 others liked this
Rob L wrote:Quick question: Why on earth do you want to fly a Chipmunk? :?:
I hope someone else is paying the bills.

The Chipmunk was the first light aircraft which I was given a flight in and I was smitten. I have wanted to learn to fly one now for 12 years.....

As to bills....nope, thats me, but .... I have always loved WW2 aircraft since I was 10 years old in fact and therefore really have only ever wanted to fly the old beasts. The Chipmunk is the closest I will ever get to a Spitfire, so....

...Grob for going places.....Chipmunk for the sheer pleasure of flying an aircraft around the Lincs airspace which has such grace, character and age....
Flyin'Dutch', Miscellaneous, Iceman and 11 others liked this
Rob L wrote:Quick question: Why on earth do you want to fly a Chipmunk? :?:
I hope someone else is paying the bills.

If you are going to ask that question, you might as well just ask

"Why on earth do you want to fly? I hope someone else is paying the bills!"
Iceman, JAFO, Rob P and 3 others liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We look forward to seeing you in the Chippy at a future fly-in. Flyer has organised a Fly-in at Sleap for the not too distant future.

I’ve never flown a Chippy (except briefly from the back seat), but I enjoyed quite a few hours of travelling in the back of Janie’s.

The forthcoming Chipmunk 75th anniversary event at Old Warden will be worth seeing. Is your aircraft attending ? I believe 70+ Chippies will be taking part.

https://www.flyer.co.uk/chipmunk-75th-old-warden/

Iceman 8)
Cartridge start?? who still does these?
Last one I did was July 1971 - Hamble, WP851, 20/25hr check with Flt Lt Tizzard.
I thought that it had become impossible (illegal?) to get the cartridges and civvy Chipmunks were converted to electric start. Much more practical except that the aircraft of the syndicate I joined had a knackered battery which wouldn't maintain enough charge overnight to start. So on being cleared solo there was formal instruction on hand swinging.

IC
Iron Chicken wrote:Cartridge start?? who still does these?
Last one I did was July 1971 - Hamble, WP851, 20/25hr check with Flt Lt Tizzard.
I thought that it had become impossible (illegal?) to get the cartridges and civvy Chipmunks were converted to electric start. Much more practical except that the aircraft of the syndicate I joined had a knackered battery which wouldn't maintain enough charge overnight to start. So on being cleared solo there was formal instruction on hand swinging.

IC

Why are the starter cartridges illegal ? they are only a form of blank cartridge which you can buy quite easily for other situations i.e. 12g short poacher alarms, starter guns, nail guns, 12g saluting guns, non of these are illegal.

https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/airgu ... ank-rounds