Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
as it is a cartridge start, it may just be for trips around the Lincolnshire airspace and not actually land anywhere apart from home airfield

No need to stop landaways for that - just need someone in the other seat who is competent to hand swing, either that or learn to do it yourself and have someone competent in the cockpit! :D
Hazel C, gaznav liked this
Highland Park wrote:There's also a Chipmunk fly in planned at Fenland 31 July - 1 August, so reasonably local for you to drive to, if not fly in to...?

As I can't fly in to the Old Warden Chipmunk 75th as its full, I was going to pop along to the Fenland Chipmunk fly in, but sadly it clashes with the Old Buckenham Airshow, assuming that goes ahead...

Ian

Thankyou Ian, I may take a drive to that if I cannot fly in as it is indeed reasonably local. If you are going PM me so that we can introduce ourselves in person, as I only knowingly know two other forumites in person! I think I have corresponded with "Chipmunk Carol" in the past if she is the lady I am thinking of - although never met in person.

Thanks for the tip Gaznav, fab idea. I know a couple of the guys who fly in the Gliding club, so i'll see if they would introduce me to the Chippy pilots :-). ....and when you put it that way, if ab inito RAF pilots used to fly them.. I am sure I will get used to the braking after a few more trips :thumright:
gaznav liked this
By Highland Park
Hazel C wrote:
Highland Park wrote:There's also a Chipmunk fly in planned at Fenland 31 July - 1 August, so reasonably local for you to drive to, if not fly in to...?

As I can't fly in to the Old Warden Chipmunk 75th as its full, I was going to pop along to the Fenland Chipmunk fly in, but sadly it clashes with the Old Buckenham Airshow, assuming that goes ahead...

Ian

Thankyou Ian, I may take a drive to that if I cannot fly in as it is indeed reasonably local. If you are going PM me so that we can introduce ourselves in person, as I only knowingly know two other forumites in person! I think I have corresponded with "Chipmunk Carol" in the past if she is the lady I am thinking of - although never met in person.

I think we both know @RobP and I’ve met Carol a few times. If I do go, I’ll certainly let you know - it would be in The Shiny Colt, a former steed of Rob’s. Otherwise, when you get the chance, fly over to Old Buck where I’m often on the AGCS radio...

Ian
Rob P, Hazel C liked this
'Not sure what the fascination with Chipmunk is all about'

It is a delightful aeroplane to fly. The control harmony is the ideal 1:2:3 in respect to the force required to operate the ailerons, elevator and rudder.

Yes it only does 92kts, rattling lots, drips oil on the hangar floor and with only 9 Imp gals of fuel each side you are not going to want to fly for more than 2 hrs between fuel stops. I know later Chipmunks have 12 gals per side but these are quite rare.

The point is the aircraft is a joy to fly, has a solid feel but with light responsive controls and being vintage, tailwheel, ex military and aerobatic it ticks a lot of boxes.
Rob P, Hazel C, Iron Chicken and 1 others liked this
By foxmoth
Hazel C wrote:
foxmoth wrote:
Two-to-three clicks on the brake

Back to that old discussion then!
(I am also in the set the brakes camp as thats how we were taught in the RN!)

I'll let you know how I get on and which camp I fall into when I learn a bit more! :D

If I am converting someone onto Chippie I show them both,
it really comes down to personal preference,
I generally find that people prefer the set the brakes method and those who don't were only shown to apply brake when needed - as said, a bit of a generalisation.
Hazel C, gaznav liked this
[/quote]
I think we both know @RobP and I’ve met Carol a few times. If I do go, I’ll certainly let you know - it would be in The Shiny Colt, a former steed of Rob’s. Otherwise, when you get the chance, fly over to Old Buck where I’m often on the AGCS radio...

Ian[/quote]

Yep I know @RobP and heard about the Shiny Colt :D I flew over to Old Buck in the Grob for coffee with Rob when he was there....VERY short runway!! I may even have spoken to you on the radio... Just requested to join the Chippy FB page.

'Not sure what the fascination with Chipmunk is all about'

It is a delightful aeroplane to fly. .....The point is the aircraft is a joy to fly, has a solid feel but with light responsive controls and being vintage, tailwheel, ex military and aerobatic it ticks a lot of boxes.

Couldnt agree with you more PA28, gro-bag has already been christened with Chippy Oil :lol:
Rob P, Highland Park liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
gaznav wrote:BTW - our Supermunk is sometimes up at Cranditz on the North Airfield. If you speak nicely to the folks when she is there and they may let you jump in the boot for an aerotow. The extra 35hp of the Lycoming and Sensenich Prop more than doubles the climb rate over the “Dripsy” Major and Fairey Reed Prop.

But does nothing for the looks.

I have very little time in Chipmunks, but they are a delightful aeroplane to fly.
Hazel C, Rob P liked this
@Flyin'Dutch' - you get used to it. I now prefer Lycoming Super Chipmunks and Supermunks to Gipsy ones. I guess some would call that Stockholm Syndrome! :lol:

The Portuguese Air Force Academy still fly them for elementary flying training and glider tugging.

Yes, I’m an ‘either or’ fan on the brakes too. If they are set up correctly then the 2-3 clicks works best when learning on concrete. I also agree that on grass it isn’t necessary too. But if you are having problems with the number of levers and numbers of hands in the early days, and the brakes vs rudder travel are set up properly, then the 2-3 clicks method can really help :thumright:
ls8pilot, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
@gaznav

I think your assessment is spot on - as ever. ;)

Your bias no doubt stimulated by the functionality of the Lycoming vs the lack thereof with the Dripsy.

There is always an explanation for people's behaviour, views and opinions, they may not immediately apparent but there is always a logical reason.
gaznav liked this
If I recall correctly the procedure at Southampton UAS was to pull forward from the dispersal and apply full brake to test. Then release, apply full rudder and click the brakes back until the rudder pedal just started to move. That was the number of clicks to set, usually 2,3 or 4 depending exactly on how the aircraft was adjusted. Brakes fully off for flight of course, in case you accidentally started some aerobatics. :lol:

IC