Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Chippie gave me the best flying days ever. Enjoyed numerous trips with Vince C formerly of this parish. Even made the Moth Rally one year to land in the deer park at Woburn. Happy happy days.

I have flown and owned several desirable types since those days but the Chippie is the one that holds the fondest memories for me.
Flyin'Dutch', rogerb, Hazel C and 2 others liked this
@Iron Chicken It always amused me that no matter how many times I did the 'correct' procedure, I'd end up chucking three 'clicks' on anyway :D

Landaways shouldn't be a problem, even with cartridge starts, as the breach carries 5?? shotgun cartridges (I can't recall if it is 5 or 7 but I'm leaning towards 5).

Top tip when doing landaways: after priming the carbs don't leave the bit of wire that's used for depressing the carb thingy sticking out and then close the cowling on it, so it is bent and remains extended, flooding the carbs. Definitely don't then lean off the mixture in order to start the thing because the previous start produced a load of black smoke. The engine will start and, with higher power, will continue to run. Definitely, definitely, don't then return to base at high power, wondering why it begins to run rough if the power is reduced. If you do all of the above, put yourself in a nice position downwind for when the throttle is reduced and you suddenly have an engine 'failure'.

A person I know did all of the above in a quick trip from Compton Abbas to Yeovilton :oops: :oops: :oops:

Faultless but completely unnecessary forced landing onto a very big strip of tarmac :wink:
Rob P, Hazel C liked this
PaulSS wrote:@Iron Chicken It always amused me that no matter how many times I did the 'correct' procedure, I'd end up chucking three 'clicks' on anyway :D

Landaways shouldn't be a problem, even with cartridge starts, as the breach carries 5?? shotgun cartridges (I can't recall if it is 5 or 7 but I'm leaning towards 5).

Top tip when doing landaways: after priming the carbs don't leave the bit of wire that's used for depressing the carb thingy sticking out and then close the cowling on it, so it is bent and remains extended, flooding the carbs. Definitely don't then lean off the mixture in order to start the thing because the previous start produced a load of black smoke. The engine will start and, with higher power, will continue to run. Definitely, definitely, don't then return to base at high power, wondering why it begins to run rough if the power is reduced. If you do all of the above, put yourself in a nice position downwind for when the throttle is reduced and you suddenly have an engine 'failure'.

A person I know did all of the above in a quick trip from Compton Abbas to Yeovilton :oops: :oops: :oops:

Faultless but completely unnecessary forced landing onto a very big strip of tarmac :wink:

Nearly, it holds 6.

PaulSS liked this
Thankyou Paul SS.

Chippy landaways are obviously possible even with Cartridge start. I think when I am further down the line/maybe after first Chippy solo, I will ask the owner what he likes vis a vis landaways and the cartridge start. ...also when I am competent with the cartridge start!!

Is it safe for instance to carry the spare cartridge in the aircraft?

Very much still at the "conscious incompetent" stage as a Chippy pilot!..... :lol:
There's really no need to carry spare cartridges in the aircraft, but I suppose you could. The breech carries six of them and it just rotates after one is fired, so the next one is lined up. The military procedure would be to remove the breech after use (at the end of the day) and stow it in the container in the engine bay, instead of leaving it in the place where it is used to start the engine......and therefore potentially in a position to go 'bang'. If your engine starts with the first cartridge and you're not planning to start more than five more times, then you'd probably be okay with not carrying spares.

Now, Hunter cartridges were more fun.......... :D :D :D
Lockhaven, Hazel C liked this
Hazel C wrote:Thankyou Paul SS.

Chippy landaways are obviously possible even with Cartridge start. I think when I am further down the line/maybe after first Chippy solo, I will ask the owner what he likes vis a vis landaways and the cartridge start. ...also when I am competent with the cartridge start!!

Is it safe for instance to carry the spare cartridge in the aircraft?

Very much still at the "conscious incompetent" stage as a Chippy pilot!..... :lol:

The starter cartridge system holds six cartridges in the breech so perfectly safe.

If you need further spare cartridges ( your having a bad day ) but they are safe to carry in their box safely secured in the aircraft.

Paul SS beat me to it.
Hazel C liked this
I can recall walking across the pan at RAF Finningley chatting to a 6ft 2in tall Ulster man, and fellow Nav stude, when a Chippy Coffman Starter went off. After finishing my sentence I turned to face where he was and he’d gone! I then looked down and there he was, laying as flat as very flat thing on the ground - if he could have got between the slurry seals of the concrete blocks he would have! :lol: :lol:

It turns out he had been shot at a few times at home and so the mere sound of something like a gun would have him diving for cover. I can’t say I blame him! :shock:
As an erstwhile trader in shotgun and other ammunition I can confirm that in terms of hazard, when doing the H&S protocols for a magazine containing several hundred thousands of cartridges at any time, the cardboard packaging was seen as the greater risk.

Rob P
Hazel C liked this
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PaulSS wrote:Now, Hunter cartridges were more fun.......... :D :D :D

Way, way back in the mists of time - when everything was in black & white and dinosaurs ruled the Earth - some of us drew the short straw and spent 3 weeks on a trial in July in the South of France - by the coast - eating out every night in the most awful gourmet restaurants.

'Twas truly terrible, and thank the Lord the taxpayers got their money's worth from our sacrifice.

Anyway, one evening the team of 15 or so of us descended on this tiny place with a truly terrible shaded patio and utterly ghastly view with food worthy of three (I mean, only three: Purgatory) Michelin stars. We fought our way against the horrors of the chef's talent and the nightmare products of various vineyards, but we were diplomats abroad, and struggled through.

At the end of the meal, Le Patron held our collective arms up our collective backs and forced upon us glasses of the very local and very lively eau de vie.

"Good God", cried Sqn Ldr Flasheart, "That tastes like AVPIN!"

"Can't be", responded Engineer Blackadder within a picosecond,

"AVPIN's a starter"

:D
Aerials, Rob P, mick w and 7 others liked this
What is the legal position regarding Coffman starters? I was told several years ago that a pyrotechnic licence was required and only one cartridge could be loaded because explosives could not be carried in flight. I thought the cartridges were slow burn and not just blanks. I would appreciate informed advice.
PaulSS wrote:There's really no need to carry spare cartridges in the aircraft, but I suppose you could. The breech carries six of them and it just rotates after one is fired, so the next one is lined up. The military procedure would be to remove the breech after use (at the end of the day) and stow it in the container in the engine bay, instead of leaving it in the place where it is used to start the engine......and therefore potentially in a position to go 'bang'. If your engine starts with the first cartridge and you're not planning to start more than five more times, then you'd probably be okay with not carrying spares.

Now, Hunter cartridges were more fun.......... :D :D :D

Ahh thankyou Paul SS, I didnt realise that the breech carried six cartridges, as I have not yet looked under this particular Chippy cowling (note to self, its bound to be raining tomorrow, need to ask FI for a guided tour of the dripsy gyspsy :-) )