Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I don't know what the fascination with the Chipmunk is all about, personally, I spent 30 hours on various T. 10's at EFTS at Swinderby in 1980 and didn't think much of the experience, weaving all over the place on the ground (3 or 4 hands would have made it easier), rattled to pieces on downwind with the throttle pulled back....getting to the JP was a more pleasant challenge -but much much noisier.. Still, whatever floats your boat..

R&T
I flew a chipmunk for a while a 5 or six years ago on the civ reg, where the owner had both start systems (the electric one was installed at the time) So assume it is possible.

Congratulations on completing the tailwheel on the 140 and moving up into the chipmunk. I think it's a lovely aircraft to fly, the little wheel at the correct end and really lovely controls. The only negatives I had were the limited fuel capacity and my ability to sit comfortably on a parachute any length of time.
Hazel C liked this
RipAndTear wrote:I don't know what the fascination with the Chipmunk is all about, personally, I spent 30 hours on various T. 10's at EFTS at Swinderby in 1980 and didn't think much of the experience, weaving all over the place on the ground (3 or 4 hands would have made it easier), rattled to pieces on downwind with the throttle pulled back....getting to the JP was a more pleasant challenge -but much much noisier.. Still, whatever floats your boat..

R&T

In 1982 the FSS course at Swinderby was only 14 hours. Can’t say I had the capacity to ‘enjoy’ it either. Not least because as a total beginner it felt like quite high pressure. As did all of military flying training, with the ‘chop’ an ever present spectre.

However my subsequent 240 hours in RAF Chippies are amongst my most enjoyable flying. All cartridge start!

You’ll love it Hazel! :D
Hazel C, Rob P, Flyin'Dutch' and 1 others liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hazel C wrote:The Chipmunk was the first light aircraft which I was given a flight in

Me too, in fact my first flight anywhere. At RAF Abingdon when I was in the CCF at school.

I'd sat around doing nothing all day as I was last on the list to fly. Then for some reason there was very little time left, and the pilot that took me up was very grumpy and barely said a word.

And of all the lads that flew that day, I was the only one that didn't get a go at the controls. Such a git. It was incredibly disappointing.
By PeteSpencer
TopCat wrote:
Hazel C wrote:The Chipmunk was the first light aircraft which I was given a flight in

Me too, in fact my first flight anywhere. At RAF Abingdon when I was in the CCF at school.

I'd sat around doing nothing all day as I was last on the list to fly. Then for some reason there was very little time left, and the pilot that took me up was very grumpy and barely said a word.

And of all the lads that flew that day, I was the only one that didn't get a go at the controls. Such a git. It was incredibly disappointing.

Me too with CCF- CUAS at Marshall’s Cambridge 1961;
Ill advisedly I accepted the pilot’s offer of aerobatics on first ever flight and filled the cag-bag . :roll:
Hazel C liked this
By TopCat
PeteSpencer wrote:Me too with CCF- CUAS at Marshall’s Cambridge 1961;

Don't even get me started on the reasons for what for many years felt like the worst decision in my life in October 1982.

Can you believe I withdrew my application after I'd passed the first interview?

Impossible to say of course whether it really was the worst decision, as the counterfactuals will never be known. If I'd been good enough, and who knows whether I would have been, I might have gone on to FJs in the RAF and been KIA in one of the gulf wars.

My life would have been rather different though, for sure.
Highland Park wrote:If you’re on Facebook @Hazel C there’s a “de Havilland Chipmunk Appreciation Society” group on there you might like to join...

Ian

Thanks Ian, I am indeed on FB and will look that page up. THankyou.

The Chippy I fly is civvy and I must say I was surprised that it was still not converted to electric start, but hey ho, thats all part of the aircraft's age and charm.

I haven't looked into the next Chipmunk meet for one thing, I dont know when I will qualify on type and secondly, as it is a cartridge start, it may just be for trips around the Lincolnshire airspace and not actually land anywhere apart from home airfield. Its still very early days and at the moment, i am jsut looking forward to the challenge of learning her quirks and to then fly her solo; and share my passion for the aircraft with friends. I dont know if the Chippy I fly is attending, will have to find out.

As to the Sleap Fly In... will have a look. May bring the Grob over...

Thankyou Proteus. :-)

...and to A4Pacific...I believe I will enjoy it! Proper aircraft with the wheel at the proper end.
Iceman, A4 Pacific, Lockhaven and 1 others liked this
By Highland Park
There's also a Chipmunk fly in planned at Fenland 31 July - 1 August, so reasonably local for you to drive to, if not fly in to...?

As I can't fly in to the Old Warden Chipmunk 75th as its full, I was going to pop along to the Fenland Chipmunk fly in, but sadly it clashes with the Old Buckenham Airshow, assuming that goes ahead...

Ian
Hazel C liked this
By Highland Park
Hazel C wrote:
Highland Park wrote:If you’re on Facebook @Hazel C there’s a “de Havilland Chipmunk Appreciation Society” group on there you might like to join...

Ian

Thanks Ian, I am indeed on FB and will look that page up. THankyou.

I think the administrator is "Chipmunk Carol" of this parish (formerly known as "Janie").

Ian
BTW - our Supermunk is sometimes up at Cranditz on the North Airfield. If you speak nicely to the folks when she is there and they may let you jump in the boot for an aerotow. The extra 35hp of the Lycoming and Sensenich Prop more than doubles the climb rate over the “Dripsy” Major and Fairey Reed Prop. Image